HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Exercises for Hysterectomy Recovery
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
Are there any suggestions for exercises I can do as I'm recovering from my hysterectomy?
Absolutely! Of course you should listen to your body and only do these if you are comfortable. Stop if you feel any pain or discomfort. We always recommend consulting your physician before beginning any exercise regimen.
Lie on your back with one pillow under your head, and with both knees bent and together. Take a breath in and as you breathe out, pull in your tummy muscles, tilt your bottom upwards slightly and try to press the middle of your back against the mattress. Hold for a few seconds and then let go. This exercise helps backache and reduces abdominal wind.
Pelvic Floor Exercises
These can be started after a urethral catheter has been removed, or from the second day after your operation.
Lie comfortably with both legs bent apart. Do not tighten your tummy or hold your breath. Pull up and close the back passage, hold, then pull up and close the front passages (as if you were preventing bowel and bladder action). Hold this and count for 5 seconds, feeling a definite lift in the pelvic floor. Let go slowly, but never push down.
Start your exercises gradually and increase the number each day. Aim for 5–10 times at regular intervals throughout the day. This exercise can be done lying, sitting or standing positions. It is important to ensure that you will regain full control of urine, especially important after a hysterectomy, abdominal or vaginal, and you should continue doing it for the rest of your life.
Lie flat with one pillow under your head, both knees bent up fully together.
Tighten your tummy muscles and HOLD TIGHT. Now swing both knees to the left slowly then over to the right slowly and then slowly return to the center position. Stop and relax the tummy and pelvis.
Repeat 5 times, twice daily, increase by 1 repeat daily to 10 repeats, twice daily.
Straight Abdominal Exercise
Lie flat with one pillow, tighten your tummy muscles and HOLD TIGHT. Arms out towards your knees or crossed across your chest ( whichever is more comfortable), and raise your head, neck and shoulders to look at knees. Hold and lower slowly, relaxing the tummy once your head is on the pillow. Repeat 5 times, 2 times daily; increasing as Exercise 3
Lie flat with your head on the pillow, one leg straight and the other one bent. Tighten your tummy and feel your back touching the mattress and HOLD.
Now pull straight leg up at the hip towards the shoulder, hold for 5 seconds and then relax. Change position of legs and repeat. Repeat 5 times , 2 times daily; increasing as Exercise 3
All exercises should be done comfortably. Stop if you feel any ache or pain.
Continue these five exercises for three months, doing each 10 times, twice daily but the exercise for Pelvic Floor Muscles at regular intervals through the day.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Linda Wrigley, M.D.
4200 Lake Otis Pkwy Ste 101
Anchorage AK 99508
|Sherry L Neyman, M.D.
Renaissance Women's Group
12201 Renfert Way Ste 200
Austin TX 78758
|Samuel Wheatley, M.D.
627 Jefferson St
Whiteville NC 28472
|Kimberly Newman, M.D.
10030 Edison Square Drive
Concord NC 28027
|Gretchen Makai, M.D.
4735 Ogletown Stanton Rd MAP II, Ste 2103
Christiana Care Health System
Newark DE 19713
|Caren C Reaves, M.D.
Caring for Women
2805 S. Mayhill Rd
Denton TX 76208
|Larry R. Glazerman, M.D.
1098 W Baltimore Ave
Health center 3 3404
Media PA 19063
|Beverly Love, M.D.
46 Sgt. Prentiss Dr.
Natchez MS 39120
|Hugo Ribot, M.D.
958-A Joe Frank Harris Parkway
Cartersville GA 30121