HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Kegel Exercises for Pre-op and Post-op
From the Fitness & Wellness After Hysterectomy Articles List
What are kegel exercises?
Kegel exercises strengthen the pelvic muscles and ligaments that support the pelvic organs. They can help you prevent or control urinary incontinence and other pelvic floor problems. To perform kegel exercises properly, first find the right muscles. According to the Urology Care Foundation
web site, here’s how:
“Lie down and insert a finger into your vagina. Try to squeeze around your finger with your vaginal muscles. You should be able to feel the sensation in your vagina, and you may also be able to feel the pressure on your finger. If you can, you are using the right muscles. If you cannot detect any movement with one finger, try two fingers.”
After that, the exercise itself is simple, and you can do it just about any time and anywhere without anyone knowing you’re working out.
First, empty your bladder. Then contract your pelvic floor muscles and hold for five seconds. Relax for five seconds, then repeat. Just do a few repetitions at first, and work your way up to holding for ten seconds at a time and doing ten repetitions three times per day.
For maximum benefit, try to isolate your efforts to the pelvic floor muscles only. Don’t tense up surrounding areas, like your abdomen, thighs, or buttocks. Breathe normally while doing your kegels.
Daily kegel exercises make for strong pelvic muscles to support the bladder, and they are recommended for all women (hysterectomy or not).
And by the way, kegels can also enhance your activities under the sheets.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon