Getting In and Out of Bed after Hysterectomy
HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Getting In and Out of Bed after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
I’m having a hard time getting up by myself. Are there any tricks or hints for getting in and out of bed?
There are several ideas we can share with you that might be of help:
- Use a recliner as a bed. It can be set to lay back enough to let you sleep and yet easy enough to get out.
- Use pillows to prop yourself up and make yourself comfortable in your bed.
- Use a pillow wedge to prop yourself in a semi-reclining position in your bed.
- Prop up the head of your bed using bricks. It's easier to get up when your head is already elevated.
- Sleep on the couch. The reach to get off the couch isn’t as far as a bed.
- Roll to your side and push up with your arms.
- Put a sturdy kitchen chair next to your bed, with the back facing the bed, to use as a rail.
- Turn over to the side you are getting up from. Do not try to sit bolt upright. By turning to your side you are using less of your front abdominal muscles and more of the side muscles and your arms.
- When you are all the way over on your side, with the elbow on the down side of you, start to push up, putting your other arm in front of you at the same time to help push you up to a sitting position. (This is kind of like walking your arms along until you are upright). It helps to have your feet just about hanging over the edge also, but not so much that it hurts. As you push yourself up, you need to drop your feet down.
- Reverse: To get back down you should do just the reverse. Do not let yourself flop back down straight. It really hurts, and you have no control over how fast you are going and you end up tightening those abdominal muscles in a very jerky way to try to slow yourself down.
Instead, lower yourself onto your elbow, using the opposite arm in front of you to brace yourself going down on your side. Do not turn until you are all the way down and your knees are up on the bed. Once you are totally down and on your side, then turn over. To adjust yourself, bring your knees up a bit and dig your heels in and lift your bottom or hips to adjust yourself—use your legs, not your stomach muscles if possible. Prop yourself up with pillows behind you and pillows under your knees to take the strain off your abdominal muscles.
Good body mechanics for any abdominal or back surgery is what is important. Practice this before your hysterectomy.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Leonard Rosen, M.D.
3650 Joseph Siewick Dr. #203
Fairfax VA 22033
|Mark Richey, M.D.
1200 Airport Heights
Anchorage AK 99508
|Jennifer Fuson, M.D.
1720 Nicholasville Road
Lexington KY 40503
|Kimberly Newman, M.D.
10030 Edison Square Drive
Concord NC 28027
|Ken Sinervo, M.D.
1140 Hammond Dr., Ste. F6220
Atlanta GA 30328
|Francisco Garcini, M.D.
1870 Silver Cross Blvd
New Lenox IL 60451
|Elizabeth Read, M.D.
6135 Trust Dr
Holland OH 43528
|Katherine Hsiao, M.D.
3905 Sacramento Street, Suite 204
San Francisco CA 94118
|Amie Napier, M.D.
Medical City Hospital 7777 Forest Lane Suite A331
Dallas TX 75230
Your Hysterectomy Date