HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Housework after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
My doctor says to only do light housework after my hysterectomy. What does that mean? What is everyone else doing at home?
Basically it means do very little! You should have someone, such as your husband or children or a maid, available to do the normal heavy cleaning. They may complain about it, but it’s the best thing for you and, in the end, the whole family. You don’t want to push yourself too much and cause an incision injury.
You may not
- Pick up pillows and reposition them
- Turn on dishwasher after others have loaded it
- Change roll of toilet paper
- Flip on light switch
- Fold laundry
- Dust (do not lift heavy objects)
- Water plants a cup at a time
- Cook (have someone else place the pots/pans on the stove)
- Carry laundry across house to washer
All of your activities have a ten pound weight limit or less. If you feel anything pull or are just too tired, stop and rest. Finish if you can, but listen to your body—you don't want complications.
Treat yourself well, and let your family take care of you. You deserve it, and your body needs it!
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Jennifer Elliott, M.D.
980 Johnson Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30342
|Byungyol Chun, M.D.
Northern Essex Women's Health
360 Merrimack St Entrance G
Lawrence MA 01843
|Larry R. Glazerman, M.D.
1098 W Baltimore Ave
Health center 3 3404
Media PA 19063
|Samuel Wheatley, M.D.
627 Jefferson St
Whiteville NC 28472
|Kimberly Newman, M.D.
10030 Edison Square Drive
Concord NC 28027
|Dionysios Veronikis, M.D.
621 S. New Ballas Road, Tower B, Suite 2002
St. Louis MO 63141
|Arnold Advincula, M.D.
Florida Hospital Celebration Health
400 Celebration Place
Celebration FL 34747
|Geoffrey Cly, M.D.
Suite 101, 11123 Parkview Plaza Drive
Fort Wayne IN 46845
|Megan Bird, M.D.
21810 Willamette Dr.
West Linn OR 97068