HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Too Much Too Soon After Hysterectomy?
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
I'm recovering from my hysterectomy, and I feel great! I've heard warnings from others not to do too much too soon. What are the risks?
Regardless of how many external stitches or staples you have, any type of hysterectomy involves a number—possibly hundreds—of internal stitches. It is this internal healing that can take anywhere from six months to a year to be complete.
If you strain yourself too soon, you risk tearing some of your stitches. This is one of the most catastrophic things that can happen.
This can result in bleeding and possibly even hemorrhaging. There are women who had to go back to the hospital for emergency surgery and blood transfusions.
When your tissues are healing, they are very sensitive to being pulled and squeezed. Scar tissue wants to form wherever there are internal incisions, and if there is even a tiny amount of bleeding inside it can 'stick' areas together that shouldn't be stuck together. As a result bridges of scar tissue called adhesions
can form between organs or tissues that should not normally be connected.
In some cases, these adhesions can grow over time until they occupy large areas of the pelvis and connect some or all of the organs there. Occasionally, they can even grow nerves and their own blood supply. As a result, every movement pulls on something it shouldn't, causing intense pain.
Sometimes a further surgery can be done to remove these adhesions. Sometimes, if vital organs are involved, surgery is too dangerous. If that becomes the case, the only solution is a lifetime of pain medication.
Strong, sudden movements can cause little tiny tears in the tissue that will promote adhesion formation, whereas slow, fluid movements keep things loose and free. Walking is great, as is slow swimming after your doctor has cleared you to be submerged in water (usually at the six-week mark).
You only get one chance to heal properly, so it's up to you to make the most of it! Look at it this way: you and your surgeon are partners. Your surgeon's part was to do the very best job s/he could do in the operating room. Now your part is to make sure you don't undo all that good work. In order for you to have the best possible outcome, you BOTH have to do your parts!
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
04-28-2003 - 05:51 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Bruce Pierce, M.D.
2 Princess Road
Lawrenceville NJ 08648
|Michele Cowling, M.D.
303 Nicollet Blvd
Burnsville MN 55337
|Mini Somasundaram, M.D.
3600 Olentangy River Rd
Columbus OH 43214
|Alf Adler, M.D.
17739 Main St. Suite 110
Dumfries VA 22026
|Elizabeth Babin, M.D.
151 Fries Mill Road Suite 301
Turnersville NJ 08012
|heath miller, M.D.
1101 madison street
seattle WA 98104
|Melvin Ashford, M.D.
2603 White Bear Avenue N
Maplewood MN 55109
|Jennifer Elliott, M.D.
980 Johnson Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30342
|Susan Carter, M.D.
North Colorado Medical Center/ MCR
1800 15th Street, Suite 220
Greeley CO 80631
970 353 1335