HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Intimacy after Hysterectomy | The Wait
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
Do I really have to wait six weeks until I can have sex? What are the risks involved? Isn't there anything I can do?
Post-op hysterectomy patients are told "nothing in the vagina for six weeks and/or until the doctor exams the stitched vaginal cuff during a routine post-op exam and sees it healing properly
During a hysterectomy (when the total uterus is removed, including the cervix) the top of the vagina is stitched closed to make a vaginal cuff. This area is full of stitches that require healing. Sexual intercourse, both anal and vaginal, can tear these stitches. It can also introduce bacteria into the vagina, causing an infection—oral sex can also introduce bacteria.
Ramifications include, but certainly aren't limited to additional surgery, severe infections, bleeding, and added pain.
It is important that you curtail all vaginal sexual activities until your doctor examines you and releases you. It is for your own good!
While intercourse, both vaginal and anal (oral is also discouraged due to bacteria), is strictly prohibited, outercourse
may be allowed with clearance from your doctor. Keep in mind that the spasms and rush of blood involved in an orgasm can delay healing.
Additional Voices of Warning:
"My doctor told me to wait six weeks, but my husband and I did it on the 4th week. Now I am sitting here with a catheter in me. I had my bladder resting on top of all those stitches in there, so when we did it, we ripped some stitches and made a hole in my bladder which is now a fistula. It is very painful and awful. I have been wearing this catheter for 3 months now and I will be facing another surgery for repairs."
"Having sex prolonged my urinary tract infection. Due to the infection raging, I have had severe nausea and vomiting. I have lost 14 lbs in the past seven days and have become very dehydrated. I am now on potent anti-nausea pills that they use for chemo patients so that I can become rehydrated. Then, after that, they will start me on a stronger antibiotic for the UTI."
"I have seen surgery done on a woman who had sex at 1 week post-op. She had semen in her abdominal cavity and a raging infection because of the contaminated opening into what is supposed to be a sterile environment. Her bladder was stuck to her vagina and her bowels were a mess."
The bottom line is simple: nothing
in the vagina until released by the doctor. S/he is the only one that can know for certain that the stitches have healed properly.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Jennifer Elliott, M.D.
980 Johnson Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30342
|Kimberly Newman, M.D.
10030 Edison Square Drive
Concord NC 28027
|Lino Montilla, M.D.
3650 Joseph Siewick Dr. #203
Fairfax VA 22033
|David Ghozland, M.D.
530 Wilshire Blvd.
SANTA MONICA CA 90401
|Robert Furr, M.D.
Women's Surgery Center
1604 Gunbarrel Road
Chattanooga TN 37421
|Elizabeth Case, M.D.
1720 Nicholasville Road
Lexington KY 40503
|Tiffany Jackson, M.D.
601 Clara Barton, Suite 160
Garland TX 75042
|Elizabeth Read, M.D.
6135 Trust Dr
Holland OH 43528
|Quanita Crable, M.D.
8160 Walnut Hill Lane
Dallas TX 75231