HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Vaginal Cuff | Granulation Treatment after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
During my post-op checkup, my doctor told me that the vaginal cuff wasn't healing properly, and he treated it with silver nitrate. What exactly is that, and I what can I expect afterward?
Given the dark moist environment of the vagina, the vaginal cuff may not heal as quickly as external incisions after a hysterectomy. Sometimes during healing, granulation can occur. Granulation is scar tissue that starts to form over an unhealed area, thus preventing/slowing true healing.
Indications of granulation range from no obvious symptoms to an odor, spotting, or perhaps even some bright red blood (particularly after intercourse or new physical exertions).
Granulation can usually be treated in your doctor’s office in no time at all. An application of silver nitrate cauterizes the unwanted tissue. Some women report this as a painless intervention, while others found it painful. Overall, it is described as a stinging sensation. Depending on the amount of granulation you have, you may need to have more than one treatment.
After a silver nitrate treatment, it is normal to have some discharge for a few days. This discharge may be blackish/gray at first, but the color should dissipate within a short time and convert to a clear, watery discharge for a day or two, then nothing. You may experience cramping and bloating for the first couple of days. You may be allowed to resume all activities, (including swimming/bathing), as early as the day you have the cauterization done, but you must follow your doctor’s restrictions because they will be relevant to YOUR situation.
If you still have discharge after a week, call your doctor.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
08-04-2004 - 09:01 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Arnold Advincula, M.D.
Columbia Ob/Gyn Midtown
51 West 51st St, 3rd FL
New York NY 10019
|Shirley Bennett, M.D.
7255 Old Oak Blvd
Middleburg Hts OH 44149
|Charles Miller, M.D.
120 Osler Drive
Naperville IL 60540
|Ruslana Kadze, M.D.
5525 Etiwanda Avenue
Tarzana (Los Angeles) CA 91356
|Linda Wrigley, M.D.
4200 Lake Otis Pkwy Ste 101
Anchorage AK 99508
|Lauren Streicher, M.D.
Gynecologic Specialists of Northwestern, S.C
680 N. Lake Shore Dr., Suite 117
Chicago IL 60611
|Jack Ayoub, M.D.
44035 Riverside Parkway
Leesburg VA 20176
|Mayra J. Thompson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd Dept OBGYN
Dallas TX 75290
|Sean Kossari, M.D.
14901 Rinaldi Street
Mission Hills CA 91345