HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Douching after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
Can I douche after my hysterectomy?
Most (if not all) doctors will say nothing in the vagina
—including douche—for at least six weeks after surgery. In fact, many doctors do not recommend douching
at all because it can kill the natural bacteria found in the vagina. Plus, if you have a vaginal infection, douching could push the bacteria further into your body.
Some doctors allow a betadine douche or water and vinegar if there was a hematoma
or an infection, but this is something that must be ordered by your personal physician.
Some HysterSisters, who ignored the "nothing in the vagina" rule, found that douching triggered "bacterial vaginosis," which caused excessive bleeding and a bad infection.
The vagina is a self-cleaning organ. Washing takes away the "good" bacteria, leaving your body with an over abundance of the "bad" bacteria. Douching upsets the natural balance.
Once your natural vaginal flora gets out of balance, it can be difficult to get it back in balance. Eating yogurt is great for keeping things in balance.
When in doubt, ask your doctor.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
08-06-2004 - 06:24 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Christopher G. Olson, M.D.
1220 Hobson Rd #116
Naperville NJ 60540
|Quanita Crable, M.D.
8160 Walnut Hill Lane
Dallas TX 75231
|Bruce Bonn, M.D.
2311 M St, NW Suite 304
Washington DC 20037
|Elizabeth Stevenson-Gargiulo, M.D.
9101 North Central Expressway
Dallas TX 75231
|Jennifer Hayes, M.D.
Visionary Centre for Women
2695 Ulmerton Rd
Clearwater FL 33762
|Elizabeth Babin, M.D.
151 Fries Mill Road Suite 301
Turnersville NJ 08012
|Alf Adler, M.D.
17739 Main St. Suite 110
Dumfries VA 22026
|Morris Wortman, M.D.
2020 South Clinton Avenue
Rochester NY 14618
|Robert Furr, M.D.
Women's Surgery Center
1604 Gunbarrel Road
Chattanooga TN 37421