HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Douching after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
Can I douche after my hysterectomy?
Most (if not all) doctors will say nothing in the vagina
—including douche—for at least six weeks after surgery. In fact, many doctors do not recommend douching
at all because it can kill the natural bacteria found in the vagina. Plus, if you have a vaginal infection, douching could push the bacteria further into your body.
Some doctors allow a betadine douche or water and vinegar if there was a hematoma
or an infection, but this is something that must be ordered by your personal physician.
Some HysterSisters, who ignored the "nothing in the vagina" rule, found that douching triggered "bacterial vaginosis," which caused excessive bleeding and a bad infection.
The vagina is a self-cleaning organ. Washing takes away the "good" bacteria, leaving your body with an over abundance of the "bad" bacteria. Douching upsets the natural balance.
Once your natural vaginal flora gets out of balance, it can be difficult to get it back in balance. Eating yogurt is great for keeping things in balance.
When in doubt, ask your doctor.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Peter Vienne & Tom Kazmierczak, M.D.
936 W. Rt 6
Morris IL 60450
|Kimberly Newman, M.D.
10030 Edison Square Drive
Concord NC 28027
|Beverly Love, M.D.
46 Sgt. Prentiss Dr.
Natchez MS 39120
|James Kondrup, M.D.
161 Riverside Drive
Binghamton NY 13905
|Lauren Streicher, M.D.
Gynecologic Specialists of Northwestern, S.C
680 N. Lake Shore Dr., Suite 117
Chicago IL 60611
|Mayra J. Thompson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd Dept OBGYN
Dallas TX 75290
|Susan Carter, M.D.
North Colorado Medical Center/ MCR
1800 15th Street, Suite 220
Greeley CO 80631
970 353 1335
|Melodie Wilson, M.D.
3650 Joseph Siewick Dr. #203
Fairfax VA 22033
|Kym Boyman, M.D.
1775 Williston Rd., Ste. 110
South Burlington VT 05403