HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Vaginal Cuff after Hysterectomy | What Is It?
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
If the surgeon removes my cervix during hysterectomy, how is the vagina closed at the top?
The vaginal cuff is created by the surgeon at the top of the vagina where the cervix used to be, kind of like the end of a sock.
The creation of the vaginal cuff does not usually shorten the vagina. There may be a very minor reduction in length (some studies report shortening by a quarter of an inch), but in most cases it is negligible.
That said, many women and their partners feel like the vagina is shorter
during the first few sexual encounters post-op. This sensation may occur simply because the recovering tissues are still stiff. The tissues of the vagina are very flexible, however, and with caution and practice they will stretch back out.
If your vaginal cuff doesn't heal properly, the doctor may treat it with silver nitrate to cauterize it and encourage healing.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|James Greenberg, M.D.
1153 Centre Street #36
Jamaica Plain MA 02130
|Elizabeth Case, M.D.
1720 Nicholasville Road
Lexington KY 40503
|Susan Murrmann, M.D.
7205 WOlf River Blvd Ste 150
Memphis TN 38120
|Geoffrey Cly, M.D.
Suite 101, 11123 Parkview Plaza Drive
Fort Wayne IN 46845
|Jack Ayoub, M.D.
44035 Riverside Parkway
Leesburg VA 20176
|Gerald Harkins, M.D.
Department of OB-Gyn
P.O. Box 850, H-103
Hershey PA 17033
|Susan D. Hunter, M.D.
626 Ed Carey Dr
Harlingen TX 78550
|Tiffany Jackson, M.D.
601 Clara Barton, Suite 160
Garland TX 75042
|Beverly Love, M.D.
46 Sgt. Prentiss Dr.
Natchez MS 39120