HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Intimacy after Hysterectomy | Libido Surge
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
My libido is going nuts. It's been three weeks since my hysterectomy, and I have a libido that will not stop. What causes this?
It's very common for libido to surge in the early weeks after surgery due to changes in the balance of hormones. However, it's equally common for sex drive to take a nose dive right around the time you get your doctor's OK for intercourse.
This is because whatever hormones the body had stored prior to the surgery have been depleted. At that point, your libido is at the mercy of whatever hormone replacement therapy (HRT) you are using or, for those of us who kept our ovaries, how well they are working since their blood supply is compromised when the uterus is removed.
So, for those of us who had our ovaries removed, during those first six weeks,, the main objective of HRT is to try to keep the hot flashes and night sweats at bay so we can get some sleep and let our bodies heal. Then, after the post op fluctuations have abated, we can turn our attention to adjusting our HRT to make sure we still have a healthy libido.
In addition, it's worth noting that because of both hormonal factors and emotional issues associated with the surgery, intercourse may not be all we hope it to be that first time after the doctor gives the 'OK'. Vaginal dryness can cause discomfort and may require the use of either a good lubricant
, some vaginal estrogen to help produce your own lubricant again, or both.
Please also read our related articles on post-op intimacy:
Sex after Hysterectomy - The Wait
Sex after Hysterectomy - Outercourse
Sex after Hysterectomy - Resuming
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Elizabeth Babin, M.D.
151 Fries Mill Road Suite 301
Turnersville NJ 08012
|Susan D. Hunter, M.D.
626 Ed Carey Dr
Harlingen TX 78550
|Ruslana Kadze, M.D.
5525 Etiwanda Avenue
Tarzana (Los Angeles) CA 91356
|Eric Grossman, M.D.
903 Sheppard Road
Voorhees NJ 08043
|John Miklos, M.D.
3400 Old Milton Parkway
Bldg. C, Suite 330
Alpharetta GA 30005
|James Greenberg, M.D.
1153 Centre Street #36
Jamaica Plain MA 02130
|Megan Bird, M.D.
21810 Willamette Dr.
West Linn OR 97068
|Arnold Advincula, M.D.
Florida Hospital Celebration Health
400 Celebration Place
Celebration FL 34747
|Jack Inge, M.D.
4414 Lake Boone Trail
Raleigh NC 27612