HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Blood Clots after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
What are the symptoms of a blood clot and is there anything I can do to prevent them?
Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) is a serious complication of abdominal surgery. Of all the possible complications that can follow surgery, thrombosis (blood clotting that either partially or completely obstructs a blood vessel) is one of the most common and potentially the most dangerous.
Your doctor will take steps to prevent blood clots. You may receive an injection of heparin prior to your surgery and may also be given anti-embolism stockings to wear during and after your surgery. Some hospitals prefer that their patients use pneumatic compression boots on their legs.
There are steps you can take to help prevent the formation of clots:
Changing position in bed and walking promote circulation. Good blood flow discourages the formation of blood clots and enhances healing. The most important thing to prevent blood clots is early ambulation; however, if you are unable to get out of bed to walk, you can sit at the edge of your bed and dangle your feet, rotate your feet at the ankles, point your toes toward your face, and swing your legs from side to side. While lying in bed, wiggle your toes and move your legs frequently. Drink plenty of water so as not to become dehydrated.
Know the signs of a blood clot:
Symptoms can include:
- Pain in the leg
- Warm to touch
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Severe pain in upper back
Not all symptoms need to be present, and any one of the above symptoms needs to be reported to your doctor.
With appropriate preventive measures, the incidence of post-surgical complications from blood clots may be reduced.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Elizabeth Read, M.D.
6135 Trust Dr
Holland OH 43528
|Ken Sinervo, M.D.
1140 Hammond Dr., Ste. F6220
Atlanta GA 30328
|Ellen Wilson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd - Dept of OBGYN
Dallas TX 75390
|Ted Lee, M.D.
Magee Womens Hospital
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh PA 15213
412 641 6412
|Beverly Love, M.D.
46 Sgt. Prentiss Dr.
Natchez MS 39120
|Kym Boyman, M.D.
1775 Williston Rd., Ste. 110
South Burlington VT 05403
|Kimberly Newman, M.D.
10030 Edison Square Drive
Concord NC 28027
|Jocelyn Carlo, M.D.
1924 Highway 35
WALL NJ 07719
|John Lenihan, M.D.
314 ML King Jr. Way
Tacoma WA 98465