HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Hysterectomy with High Blood Pressure
From the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
Anyone else out there having a hysterectomy and have hypertension?
Most women with high blood pressure have no problems during surgery. The key is that your doctor is aware of your condition and knows which medications you are taking.
Some women report having to reschedule their surgery because of high blood pressure. Make sure your blood pressure is under control prior to your scheduled surgery.
It's a very good idea to talk to your doctor and the anesthesiologist. They will direct which medications to take before surgery. Blood pressure medication like Atenolol can usually be taken the day of the surgery. Maxzide, because it's a diuretic, is usually not recommended.
Within hours of your surgery you will be encouraged to get out of bed and move around. Even if you have to be dragged, get moving. Even though you won't feel like moving, the best way to keep blood clots from forming is to move every few hours by getting out of bed, taking a brief walk, and heading back to bed.
By the way, changes in lifestyle or behavior can help control high blood pressure and, in some cases, may allow you to reduce the amount of medication you need.
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Get regular exercise
- Avoid using too much sodium
- Get enough potassium, calcium, and magnesium in your diet
- Add fiber to your diet
- Limit alcohol use
- Stop smoking
- Use anti-inflammatory medications wisely
- Learn to check your blood pressure at home
- Reduce stress
- Eat right
If you have time to make changes in your health pre-surgery, do it! If not, post-op is a great time to plan for your healthier future.
Talk to your surgeon so you will know how to prepare for your surgery to go as smooth as possible.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
04-12-2000 - 01:43 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Peter Vienne & Tom Kazmierczak, M.D.
936 W. Rt 6
Morris IL 60450
|heath miller, M.D.
1101 madison street
seattle WA 98104
|Sean Kossari, M.D.
14901 Rinaldi Street
Mission Hills CA 91345
|Jon Nielsen, M.D.
9825 Hospital Dr. Suite 205
Maple Grove MN 55369
|Amie Napier, M.D.
Medical City Hospital 7777 Forest Lane Suite A331
Dallas TX 75230
|Devin Garza, M.D.
12201 Renfert Way, STE# 215
Austin TX 78758
|Antonio Gargiulo, M.D.
Brigham and Women's Hospital
75 Francis Street
Boston MA 02115
|Ken Sinervo, M.D.
1140 Hammond Dr., Ste. F6220
Atlanta GA 30328
|Siobhan Kehoe, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390