HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Quit Smoking before Hysterectomy?
From the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
I will be heading for my surgery in a couple of days. I'm getting really nervous! I am a smoker and was wondering if I should quit before I go in?
Yes! Now is a great time to quit smoking. When it comes to smoking, the earlier that you can quit before surgery, the better off your body will be. Smoking before surgery can diminish the blood flow to the heart. Those who smoked during the 24 hours before outpatient surgery with general anesthetics are more likely to have periods of inadequate oxygen supply to the heart than non-smokers, ex-smokers, or even smokers who quit 24 hours beforehand.
Many women who were smokers before their surgery had no desire to smoke after their surgery. In other cases, HysterSisters have become inspired to live healthier lives and have found this to be a good time to quit since they are not allowed to smoke in the hospital.
When you cut back on or quit smoking, your lungs start to heal themselves.
After your surgery you may begin to cough a lot, which can bring pain to your tender stomach. Plan to bring a pillow to press into your stomach and follow the exercise below to help bring oxygen into your lungs while easing stomach pain:
When you are watching TV and a series of commercials comes on, start taking 5 SLOW deep breaths. It may make you dizzy at first, but it will start to get more oxygen in your system. Drink extra fluids, too; this helps move the secretions in your lungs.
Make a plan to stop smoking now and discuss it with your doctor:
1. Set a quit date (We suggest your surgery date)
2. Get the support of your family, friends, and co-workers
3. Get rid of all tobacco products
A healthier you is waiting! You can do it!
This content was written by a member of HysterSisters.com as a non-medical professional based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
04-11-2000 - 10:25 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon