HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Intimacy after Hysterectomy | Is My Vagina Shorter?
From the Intimacy After Hysterectomy Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
After a hysterectomy, when the cervix is removed, is the vagina shorter?
Doctors' answers to this question vary from, “No,”
to “Possibly…but only by a few millimeters,”
to “Actually, it might be a tiny bit longer after the surgery.”
Unless something unusual happens, any permanent change in length of the vagina would be so negligible that, after all post-op healing occurs and the swelling of tissues subsides, it wouldn’t be detectible without utilizing a precise measuring device.
Of course, to determine any change in length, you would have had to measure your vagina before the surgery, which most women don't usually do.
One doctor explained it like this, “Picture a tall glass being the vagina. Now, set an apple on the opening of the glass. The apple is the uterus. The part of the apple that hangs into the glass is the cervix. Now, remove the apple. After the apple is removed, there is actually more room at the top of the glass. But then, suturing the edges of the glass (to create the vaginal cuff) takes up some of the space that remained after the apple was removed. So, the net result in vaginal length is about the same as before the surgery.”
Some women do report that their vagina feels shorter when they resume intercourse, and sometimes their partner reports the same sensation. This may be due to swelling—the vaginal cuff does experience quite a bit of swelling that often lasts beyond six weeks. Another explanation for this sensation is that the cuff is quite stiff (compared to the vagina) while it’s in the healing stages.
Women who experience an uncomfortable “bottoming out” in their early post-op intercourse sessions are probably having an issue with stiffness (i.e. lack of elasticity) rather than true shortness. With time, the tissue becomes more supple and accommodating.
In those first several post-op encounters, make sure that you are positioned so that you can control the depth of penetration. A good lubricant
also helps. Remember to be kind and gentle to your body during the first few months after your hysterectomy.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
04-21-2000 - 10:18 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Antonio Gargiulo, M.D.
Brigham and Women's Hospital
75 Francis Street
Boston MA 02115
|Sharon Ransom, M.D.
442 West High Street
Bryan OH 43506
|Aileen Caceres, M.D.
Center for Specialized Gynecology/Florida Hospital
410 Celebration Place, Suite 302
Celebration FL 34747
|Robert Moore, M.D.
3400 Old Milton Parkway
Bldg. C, Suite 330
ALPHARETTA GA 30005
|David Ghozland, M.D.
530 Wilshire Blvd.
SANTA MONICA CA 90401
|Sherry L Neyman, M.D.
Renaissance Women's Group
12201 Renfert Way Ste 200
Austin TX 78758
|Ellen Wilson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd - Dept of OBGYN
Dallas TX 75390
|Debra Richardson, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Elizabeth Babin, M.D.
151 Fries Mill Road Suite 301
Turnersville NJ 08012