HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Can Endometriosis Return after a Hysterectomy?
From the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
I am considering having a TAH/BSO for endometriosis, but my doctor told me that it can come back after the surgery. Why go through all the struggle if it’s going to return?
It is true that endometriosis can return after a hysterectomy and oophorectomy. Endometriosis occurs when cells from the endometrium make their way to the outside of the uterus and implant in various places such as the bladder, bowel, ovaries, and other areas of the pelvic cavity. In fact, endometriosis can implant just about anywhere in the body.
Unfortunately, there is no medically-proven cure for endometriosis at this time. There are many documented cases of endometriosis persisting despite a complete hysterectomy and oophorectomy.
The following study,
The Incidence of Endometriosis in Post-Hysterectomy Women
, states, in part:
"Endometriosis will be found at laparoscopy in a significant number of women with chronic pelvic pain status post hysterectomy with or without BSO"
The decision to have a hysterectomy is a major one. We each have to consider our circumstances and our health situation. The best thing a patient can do is learn all she can about endometriosis, and the Endometriosis Resources
here on the site are a good place to start.
If you are considering having a hysterectomy for endometriosis, Hystersisters.com members who have experienced this same condition advise you to get at least a second (or third and fourth!) medical opinion prior to scheduling surgery, and, if possible, consult with an Endometriosis Specialist
. If there are any other treatment options available, you might want to try them first.
If you do decide to proceed with a hysterectomy, find the most skilled doctor available, one who can recognize and remove as much of the endometriosis as possible. If you decide to have your ovaries removed, you would also benefit from a doctor who is very knowledgeable regarding endometriosis and HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy). Although estrogen feeds endometriosis, hormones are beneficial for many aspects of your overall health including the functioning of the heart, bones, skin, eyes, libido, etc.
If the endometriosis returns after surgery, you will most likely notice pelvic pain, bloating, or a change in bowel movements; the symptoms will probably be similar to what you experienced prior to your hysterectomy. There can be a whole range of conditions that can cause pain in this area of the body.
It is important to remember that not all women have problems with endometriosis after their surgery. Each patient has to do what they feel is best for them and hope for the best. While there is no guarantee that one’s future will be free from endometriosis after surgery, there is also no guarantee that it won't
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
08-09-2007 - 04:00 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon