HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Diet Suggestions for Hysterectomy Recovery
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
Are there any suggestions for a post-op diet?
Through the years, HysterSisters.com members have shared the types of foods that they enjoyed and that worked well for them after they returned home after their hysterectomy. Most found that their usual “comfort foods” were appealing in the early post-op recovery days. Simple, strong, distinct flavors rather than complicated and multi-flavored dishes seem to be preferred, with everything in smaller-than-usual portions.
Foods and beverages included on many of the “suggested diet lists” are:
- Chicken noodle soup
- Cottage cheese
- Cranberry juice
- Macaroni and cheese
- Mashed potatoes
It’s best to avoid gassy foods like beans, broccoli, and cabbage, and/or other foods that typically cause gas for you. Many suggest avoiding extra-spicy foods. Remember that all post-op surgical patients need protein
to aid in healing. And, whether you get it from fresh fruits and vegetables, dried fruits, or cereals and whole-grain breads, you need to include fiber
in your post-op diet. Also be sure to drink lots of water and avoid caffeine as much as possible.
This content was written by a member of HysterSisters.com as a non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
08-21-2007 - 02:08 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Debra Richardson, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424
|Melvin Ashford, M.D.
2603 White Bear Avenue N
Maplewood MN 55109
|Katherine Hsiao, M.D.
3905 Sacramento Street, Suite 204
San Francisco CA 94118
|Peter Vienne & Tom Kazmierczak, M.D.
936 W. Rt 6
Morris IL 60450
|Francisco Garcini, M.D.
1870 Silver Cross Blvd
New Lenox IL 60451
|John Miklos, M.D.
3400 Old Milton Parkway
Bldg. C, Suite 330
Alpharetta GA 30005
|Linda Wrigley, M.D.
4200 Lake Otis Pkwy Ste 101
Anchorage AK 99508
|Lillian Schapiro, M.D.
275 Collier Road, Suite 250
Atlanta GA 30309