HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Diet Suggestions for Hysterectomy Recovery
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
Are there any suggestions for a post-op diet?
Through the years, HysterSisters.com members have shared the types of foods that they enjoyed and that worked well for them after they returned home after their hysterectomy. Most found that their usual “comfort foods” were appealing in the early post-op recovery days. Simple, strong, distinct flavors rather than complicated and multi-flavored dishes seem to be preferred, with everything in smaller-than-usual portions.
Foods and beverages included on many of the “suggested diet lists” are:
- Chicken noodle soup
- Cottage cheese
- Cranberry juice
- Macaroni and cheese
- Mashed potatoes
It’s best to avoid gassy foods like beans, broccoli, and cabbage, and/or other foods that typically cause gas for you. Many suggest avoiding extra-spicy foods. Remember that all post-op surgical patients need protein
to aid in healing. And, whether you get it from fresh fruits and vegetables, dried fruits, or cereals and whole-grain breads, you need to include fiber
in your post-op diet. Also be sure to drink lots of water and avoid caffeine as much as possible.
This content was written by a member of HysterSisters.com as a non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
08-21-2007 - 02:08 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|James Kondrup, M.D.
161 Riverside Drive
Binghamton NY 13905
|Antonio Gargiulo, M.D.
Brigham and Women's Hospital
75 Francis Street
Boston MA 02115
|Jack Ayoub, M.D.
44035 Riverside Parkway
Leesburg VA 20176
|Robert Castle, M.D.
3650 Joseph Siewick Dr. #203
Fairfax VA 22033
|Jocelyn Carlo, M.D.
1924 Highway 35
WALL NJ 07719
|David Zisow, M.D.
2005 Rock Spring Rd Ste. 3
Forest Hill - Baltimore MD 21050
|Susan D. Hunter, M.D.
626 Ed Carey Dr
Harlingen TX 78550
|Bruce Bonn, M.D.
2311 M St, NW Suite 304
Washington DC 20037
|Siobhan Kehoe, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390