HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
What to Wear after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
When can I expect to wear my jeans again?
If you have external, abdominal incisions, you shouldn't wear anything that is too snug around the waste until your incisions heal. Pants that are too tight can irritate incisions and possibly delay healing. Not to mention, they can be painful! Even if you don't have abdominal incisions, swelly belly might make pants that fit before a little uncomfortable.
But aside from discomforts, there is one other important reason not to switch to normal pants too soon. Once you resume dressing in your “regular clothes” again, those living in your household might mistakenly get the signal that you are “all better,” and they will expect you to behave accordingly. With the possible exception of hysterectomy patients who have minimally-invasive procedures, a four to six week “disability” period is the doctor’s standard-issue time frame. It may help family members and others to better comprehend that restriction if you stay in your sleepwear during your delicate, early post-op recovery period.
Many women who have a TAH discover that, for the first month or two afterwards, their incision area is too tender to wear jeans. Instead of jeans and other tight clothing, skirts, loose drawstring pants, sundresses, empire-waist dresses, oversized tops, or trousers in a soft fabric are preferred. For at-home attire, many women wear muumuus, roomy t-shirts, sweat pants, or pajama pants. In terms of undergarments, soft, full-cut panties in a size or two larger than usual are less irritating to a healing abdominal incision. If you are not experiencing post-op spotting, going without underwear might be the most comfortable option.
You'll also want to be cautious about footwear. As you heal, you may not be as steady on your feet. Additionally, walking in heels could put strain on healing areas. Stick to flats, tennis shoes, and slippers!
You have plenty of time in the future to wear your jeans and high heels. Treat yourself to “ease and comfort” while you’re recovering.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
08-21-2007 - 02:20 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Alf Adler, M.D.
17739 Main St. Suite 110
Dumfries VA 22026
|Stephen Zweibach, M.D.
815 S Parsons Ave
Brandon FL 33511
|Jennifer Hayes, M.D.
Visionary Centre for Women
2695 Ulmerton Rd
Clearwater FL 33762
|Natalya Danilyants, M.D.
8218 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 414
Bethesda MD 20814
|Mark Richey, M.D.
1200 Airport Heights
Anchorage AK 99508
|John Miklos, M.D.
3400 Old Milton Parkway
Bldg. C, Suite 330
Alpharetta GA 30005
|Francisco Garcini, M.D.
1870 Silver Cross Blvd
New Lenox IL 60451
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424
|Nicole E. Williams, M.D.
1147 South Wabash Avenue #200
Chicago IL 60605