HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Abdominal Hysterectomy: TAH/LSO - In detail, hospital and surgery
From the Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
I got to the hospital yesterday morning at seven. They had
me ready to go around 9. First nurse couldn't get the IV
started and she left a bruise in the crook of my arm. The
second nurse got the iv started without a hitch so I have
the iv in my hand. I was alseep by the time I got to the
operating room. I woke up in recovery in a lot of pain and
kept asking for relief. The nurse gave me all that was
allowed and was trying to get me out of recovery as soon as
possible so I could get to my room. I was pretty nauseated
throughout the afternoon and they kept giving me phenergan,
ragland and pain meds. I slept most of the afternoon and
was pretty groggy all night.
I am still pretty groggy today.
Surgery lasted almost 4 hours, doctor was surprised it
lasted so long but he said I am going to be very pleased
with the results of my pelvic floor repair. I had a spinal
after coming out of surgery so my bottom hasn't hurt, but is
starting to hurt today which is a whole day after surgery.
I did have an TSO LSO as well as the pelvic floor repairs
and I have staples at the incision and there are two tubes
going into the incision and the tubes are hooked up to a
bulb that has a local anesthesia in it, so the abdominal
incision is constantly bathed and numb. They have given me
an abdominal support belt to wear which really helps. I no longer have the leg massagers on or the hose.
I did not get out of bed at all yesterday and walked for the
first time this morning after the vaginal packing came out
and the catheter came out. Vaginal packing removal was a
I had nurse problems on the day shift today. I saw my nurse
twice this morning. Once when the shift changed and then
once after I called her for pain meds, but she didn't show
up for 30 minutes and then the pain meds burned my hand so
badly that she flushed with saline and she said, ok I am
going to push really hard on the plunger and she did and my
vein popped and burned like crazy and the swelling started,
so an hour later after I had called twice to remind her she
finally got someone else to come here and take the iv out
and put in another one. I called her two more times after
that about pain meds and about my potty hat being so full
and yucky that I couldn't use it and she never showed up.
So I called the charge nurse and told her what was going on
and my doctor showed up so I told him and he said he would
get things straightened out. Then she came down here
confronting me and defensive and talking about how she is a
travel nurse from Africa and how nobody has ever complained
about her. She said she was busy with other patients and I
told her that I had needed her too and she hadn't come back
here in hours no matter that I called her directly. So we
ended up friends with her apologizing and saying she would
do better. She hasn't even kept up with whether I have had
a bowel movement and I had to talk to someone else about
I am still lying here with a big swollen hand, but I am on
oral pain meds now and have walked the halls and had a jelly
bm. I still have the local pain meds at the abdominal
incision. It is really hard to pull myself up due to being
so sore. I may sleep some so talk to you ladies later. I'll be glad to go home.
11-16-2007 - 02:27 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon