HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Estrogen Patch | Keeping it On
From the Menopause and Hormones Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
How can I keep my estrogen patch on until it's time to change it?
Getting the estrogen patch to stick properly is important. A patch which isn’t adhering won’t deliver the correct dose of estrogen, which can result in unwanted menopause symptoms. There are some tricks you can try to help ensure the patch sticks and stays on for the prescribed amount of time.
You want to be sure your hands and the area where the patch is going to be applied are dry as well as clean and free of lotion, oil, and powder. The area can be cleaned first with a bit of rubbing alcohol but be sure it dries completely before applying the patch. Position the patch in an area where it won’t be rubbed by your clothing and where it won’t crease or stretch with movement. Many women find that the buttocks, just below the belt line, is the best place. After putting the patch on, press it firmly with the palm of your hand for several seconds to ensure good contact with your skin and to help set the adhesive.
If the patch starts to come loose before it is time to change it, try pressing it back in place with the palm of your hand and then give it a blast of warm air from a hair dryer, being careful not to have it too close to your skin. That may be enough to get you through to your next scheduled patch change.
Another idea is to try covering the estrogen patch with an adhesive patch such as Tegaderm™ transparent dressing.
Many women find that generic estrogen patches don’t stick as well as the brand name patches. If you have tried a generic patch without success, you can ask if your doctor will prescribe a brand name patch and write the prescription as DAW (Dispense as Written) or specify not to fill the prescription with a generic. Also, some women have better luck using estrogen patches which are changed twice a week versus once a week so that is another option to consider if you are having problems keeping your patch on for the prescribed amount of time.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
02-28-2008 - 06:41 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon