HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Pelvic Organ Prolapse
From the Pelvic Floor Articles List
Lately I've had urinary incontinence and I've noticed that my vagina seems to be turning inside out. Is this pelvic organ prolapse?
The network of muscles and ligaments surrounding the vagina may weaken and cause the pelvic floor to collapse. There are different types of pelvic floor prolapse.
Vaginal Vault Prolapse
The top of the vagina may fall towards the vaginal opening. A herniated small bowel is often involved as the front and back walls of the vagina separate and the intestines can push against the vaginal skin. Many women develop vaginal prolapse, usually following menopause, childbirth or a hysterectomy. The uterus provides support to the pelvic floor and as it is removed, can result in the weakened state of the network of support.
Prolapse of the Bladder - Cystocele
If the front of the vaginal wall collapses, the result is a bladder prolapse. Often it is accompanied by a prolapse of the urether. A common symptom of bladder or urethra prolapse is urinary stress incontinence which is a leaking of urine involuntarily.
Prolapse of the Rectum - Rectocele
When the back wall of the vagina weakens, it pushes against the vaginal wall, causing a bulge which may be noticeable during bowel movements.
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of a pelvic organ prolapse, it is important to visit your doctor for a complete assessment.
Treatment will depend on your particular circumstances but may include medications, physical therapy or surgery. Check with your personal physician.
This content was written by a member of HysterSisters.com as a non-medical professional based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Francisco Garcini, M.D.
1870 Silver Cross Blvd
New Lenox IL 60451
|Lillian Schapiro, M.D.
275 Collier Road, Suite 250
Atlanta GA 30309
|Amie Napier, M.D.
Medical City Hospital 7777 Forest Lane Suite A331
Dallas TX 75230
|Bruce Bonn, M.D.
2311 M St, NW Suite 304
Washington DC 20037
|Charles Miller, M.D.
120 Osler Drive
Naperville IL 60540
|Tamer Seckin, M.D.
872 FIFTH AVE
NEW YORK NY 10065
|Bret Lewis, M.D.
5780 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd., Ste 295
(#2 Location) 11975 Morris Rd., Ste. 310 , Alpharetta, GA 30004
Atlanta GA 30342
|Sara Wood, M.D.
621 S. New Ballas Rd, Suite 2002
St. Louis MO 63141
|Jennifer Elliott, M.D.
980 Johnson Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30342