From the Pelvic Floor Articles List
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
My doctor diagnosed me with vaginismus. What is that?
A hysterectomy can trigger dyspareunia, which is painful intercourse. One form of dyspareunia is vaginismus, which is an involuntary tightening of the pelvic floor muscle group. Vaginismus can have a range of symptoms from impossible penetration to intercourse with discomfort, pain or burning. It is a combination of physical and non-physical triggers as your body anticipates pain. If left untreated the cycle of fear of pain may cause you to entirely avoid intimacy.
The cycle leading to vaginismus can be described as follows:
- You may be fearful or anxious about intercourse.
- Your fear and anxiety triggers involuntary muscle tightening.
- The tightness causes pain
- The pain causes you to become more fearful and anxious
- The next time you attempt intercourse the fear and anxiety from the previous pain causes you to tighten and brace more so the next encounter may be more painful than the last experience.
A uro-gynecologist or other gynecologist experienced in vaginal pain may be able to diagnosis vaginismus. They may prescribe Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy. This therapy should be conducted by a therapist trained in pelvic floor rehabilitation.
This content was written by a member of HysterSisters.com as a non-medical professional based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
|Nonnie-Marie Estella, M.D.
10 Research Place
North Chelmsford MA 01863
|Ruslana Kadze, M.D.
5525 Etiwanda Avenue
Tarzana (Los Angeles) CA 91356
|Gretchen Makai, M.D.
4735 Ogletown Stanton Rd MAP II, Ste 2103
Christiana Care Health System
Newark DE 19713
|David Newman, M.D.
10030 Edison Square Drive, Suite 100A
Concord NC 28027
|Sherry L Neyman, M.D.
Renaissance Women's Group
12201 Renfert Way Ste 200
Austin TX 78758
|Christopher Stroud, M.D.
11123 Parkivew Plaza Drive
Fort Wayne IN 46845
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424
|Marshall Bovelsky, M.D.
200 Banning St
Dover DE 19904
|Megan Daw, M.D.
Western Carolina Women's Specialty Center
2100 Ridgefield Blvd
Asheville NC 28806