From the Sexual Dysfunction after Hysterectomy Articles List
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
My doctor diagnosed me with vaginismus. What is that?
A hysterectomy can trigger dyspareunia, which is painful intercourse. One form of dyspareunia is vaginismus, which is an involuntary tightening of the pelvic floor muscle group. Vaginismus can have a range of symptoms from impossible penetration to intercourse with discomfort, pain or burning. It is a combination of physical and non-physical triggers as your body anticipates pain. If left untreated the cycle of fear of pain may cause you to entirely avoid intimacy.
The cycle leading to vaginismus can be described as follows:
- You may be fearful or anxious about intercourse.
- Your fear and anxiety triggers involuntary muscle tightening.
- The tightness causes pain
- The pain causes you to become more fearful and anxious
- The next time you attempt intercourse the fear and anxiety from the previous pain causes you to tighten and brace more so the next encounter may be more painful than the last experience.
A uro-gynecologist or other gynecologist experienced in vaginal pain may be able to diagnosis vaginismus. They may prescribe Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy. This therapy should be conducted by a therapist trained in pelvic floor rehabilitation.
This content was written by a member of HysterSisters.com as a non-medical professional based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
|Melanie Bone, M.D.
5301 S. Congress Ave.
Atlantis FL 33462
|James Kondrup, M.D.
161 Riverside Drive
Binghamton NY 13905
|Molly Senokozlieff, M.D.
9279 A Medical Plaza Dr.
North Charleston SC 29406
|Wilfredo R. Ramos, M.D.
5301 F Street, Suite 210
Sacramento CA 95819
|Ken Sinervo, M.D.
1140 Hammond Dr., Ste. F6220
Atlanta GA 30328
|Debra Richardson, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Marshall Bovelsky, M.D.
200 Banning St
Dover DE 19904
|Megan Daw, M.D.
Western Carolina Women's Specialty Center
2100 Ridgefield Blvd
Asheville NC 28806
|Aram Bonni, M.D.
25108 Marguerite Parkway Suite A-259
Mission Viejo CA 92692