HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Depression Symptoms after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
I understand that natural menopause, surgical menopause, hormonal imbalances, emotional trauma of needing surgery or of dealing with a cancer diagnosis can all trigger depression. How do I know if that is my issue?
Many factors surrounding a hysterectomy can trigger depression. It can range from a period of depression to major depression. Major depression is also referred to as clinical depression. It is characterized by the same symptoms, but it is more intense and lasts for longer periods of time.
Emotional symptoms can include:
➢ Feelings of sadness, emptiness, hopelessness
➢ Numbness or indifference
➢ Loss of interest in things you used to enjoy (including sex)
➢ Irritability or anxiety
➢ Trouble making decisions; lack of concentration
➢ Feelings of guilt or worthlessness
➢ Thoughts of death and suicide
Physical symptoms can include:
➢ Back Pain
➢ Muscle aches and joint pain
➢ Chest pain
➢ Digestive problems
➢ Exhaustion and fatigue
➢ Sleeping problems
➢ Change in appetite or weight
➢ Dizziness or lightheadedness
You may find that you are suffering from both anxiety and depression, which can increase the severity of your symptoms.
If you have a combination of these symptoms you should discuss it with your health care provider and determine if therapy, medication, or a combination of both can help you manage and overcome this medical condition.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Steven McCarus, M.D.
400 Celebration Place Suite310
Celebration FL 34747
|Francisco Garcini, M.D.
1870 Silver Cross Blvd
New Lenox IL 60451
|Amie Napier, M.D.
Medical City Hospital 7777 Forest Lane Suite A331
Dallas TX 75230
|David Mainman, M.D.
Desert Bloom Obstetrics & Gynecology
6452 E. Carondelet Drive, Suite A
Tucson AZ 85710
|Jennifer Hayes, M.D.
Visionary Centre for Women
2695 Ulmerton Rd
Clearwater FL 33762
|Elizabeth Case, M.D.
1720 Nicholasville Road
Lexington KY 40503
|Devin Garza, M.D.
12201 Renfert Way, STE# 215
Austin TX 78758
|David Ghozland, M.D.
530 Wilshire Blvd.
SANTA MONICA CA 90401
|Susan D. Hunter, M.D.
626 Ed Carey Dr
Harlingen TX 78550