HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Vaginal Spotting Years After Hysterectomy
From the Ask a Doctor - Hysterectomy Related Questions Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
I had a subtotal hysterectomy about 4 or 5 years ago. My ovaries and cervix remain. Since the operation, maybe 6 or 8 times, I have experienced vaginal spotting. Is this common or should I be concerned? i figured after this many years, it wouldn't be a concern any longer.
Answered by Betty Acker, M.D.
Sometimes after a supracervical hysterectomy a small portion of tissue is left behind and it stays active: building up and sloughing off like a cyclic period. Although it is usually just a small amount it can be a nuisance. Your doctor should examine you and can perform a sonogram to look for tissue. There are some procedures that can be done in the office to try to cauterize or remove that active tissue. Also make sure that your pap smears are up to date and this is not a sign of an issue there.
Answered by Deborah Wilson, M.D.
It is important that you have an examination by your Gynecologist. Your cervix is probably the culprit here. The cervix can bleed with contact, and that may be the issue. You may also have some abnormal cells on the cervix, which is why it is important to continue to have yearly examinations and pap smears even after a hysterectomy.
Answered by Susan Hunter, M.D.
There is a lot more information which would be required to appropriately address your question. You should call your doctor and be evaluated. Most often the problems are not serious but you and your doctor need to go through the options for diagnosis and treatment of this problem to be sure something serious is not going on.
The responses in the "Ask a Doctor" articles are provided by M.D./Surgeons with credentials in their linked profiles. The HysterSisters.com staff thanks the doctors for their participation and reminds all readers to discuss their medical concerns with their personal physicians for specific information about their health choices, as this is in no way intended to take the place of members consulting with their own physicians.
06-09-2011 - 05:24 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Kym Boyman, M.D.
1775 Williston Rd., Ste. 110
South Burlington VT 05403
|Peter Vienne & Tom Kazmierczak, M.D.
936 W. Rt 6
Morris IL 60450
|Abraham Shashoua, M.D.
Fibroid Treatment Collaborative
3000 North Halstead, Suite 405
Chicago IL 60657
|Andrew Cook, M.D.
14830 Los Gatos Blvd.
Los Gatos CA 95032
|Mark Richey, M.D.
1200 Airport Heights
Anchorage AK 99508
|Ellen Wilson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd - Dept of OBGYN
Dallas TX 75390
|Bruce Pierce, M.D.
2 Princess Road
Lawrenceville NJ 08648
|Susan D. Hunter, M.D.
626 Ed Carey Dr
Harlingen TX 78550
|Soyini Hawkins, M.D.
3400 Old Milton Parkway
Bldg. C, Suite 330
Alpharetta GA 30005