HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Depression Symptoms after Hysterectomy
From the Emotion Health - Grief - Depression Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
Natural menopause, surgical menopause, hormonal imbalances, emotional trauma of needing surgery or of dealing with a cancer diagnosis can trigger depression. How do I know if that might be my issue?
Many factors surrounding a hysterectomy can trigger depression, ranging from temporary depression to major depression. Major depression is also referred to as clinical depression. It is characterized by the same symptoms but is more intense and lasts for longer periods of time.
Emotional symptoms can include:
- Feeling sad, empty, hopeless, or numb
- Loss of interest in things you used to enjoy (including sex)
- Irritability or anxiety
- Trouble making decisions; lack of concentration
- Feeling guilty or worthless
- Thoughts of death and suicide
Physical symptoms can include:
- Back Pain
- Muscle aches and joint pain
- Chest pain
- Digestive problems
- Exhaustion and fatigue
- Sleeping problems
- Change in appetite or weight
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
You may find that you are suffering from both anxiety and depression which can increase the severity of your symptoms.
If you have a combination of these symptoms, you should discuss them with your healthcare provider and determine if therapy, medication, or a combination of both can help you manage and overcome this medical condition.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
11-21-2009 - 06:51 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Lauren Streicher, M.D.
Gynecologic Specialists of Northwestern, S.C
680 N. Lake Shore Dr., Suite 117
Chicago IL 60611
|Bruce Pierce, M.D.
2 Princess Road
Lawrenceville NJ 08648
|Charles Miller, M.D.
120 Osler Drive
Naperville IL 60540
|Mini Somasundaram, M.D.
3600 Olentangy River Rd
Columbus OH 43214
|Mark Richey, M.D.
1200 Airport Heights
Anchorage AK 99508
|Amie Napier, M.D.
Medical City Hospital 7777 Forest Lane Suite A331
Dallas TX 75230
|Ruslana Kadze, M.D.
5525 Etiwanda Avenue
Tarzana (Los Angeles) CA 91356
|Ellen Wilson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd - Dept of OBGYN
Dallas TX 75390
|Siobhan Kehoe, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390