HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Cancer | Grading vs. Staging
From the GYN Cancer Articles List
Can you explain the difference between grading and staging for cancer?
The simple explanation is that the stage refers to how invasive the cancer is, and the grade is how different the cells are from normal cells. Generally speaking, all that can be discerned from a biopsy is the grade, and full staging does not occur until after a hysterectomy and/or oophorectomy.
Several factors are used to stage cancer including the depth of the tumor, whether the tumor has spread to nearby organs, the cellular make-up and activity of the cancer, whether the lymph nodes have been invaded, and whether it has spread to other parts of the body.
There is more than one grading system including the FIGO (International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics) system and the newer AJCC American Joint Committee on Cancer) system.
It is important to know that the different stages of cancer may require different treatment regimes, and different grades within each stage can also change the treatment plan.
For more information regarding grading and staging of specific cancers, we encourage you to refer to the National Cancer Institute, the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), and the American Cancer Society (ACS), in addition to speaking to your own oncologist.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Siobhan Kehoe, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Marshall Bovelsky, M.D.
200 Banning St
Dover DE 19904
|Sean Kossari, M.D.
14901 Rinaldi Street
Mission Hills CA 91345
|Mini Somasundaram, M.D.
3600 Olentangy River Rd
Columbus OH 43214
|Kym Boyman, M.D.
1775 Williston Rd., Ste. 110
South Burlington VT 05403
|Devin Garza, M.D.
12201 Renfert Way, STE# 215
Austin TX 78758
|Christopher G. Olson, M.D.
1220 Hobson Rd #116
Naperville NJ 60540
|John Lenihan, M.D.
314 ML King Jr. Way
Tacoma WA 98465
|Susan Murrmann, M.D.
7205 WOlf River Blvd Ste 150
Memphis TN 38120