HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Loss of Vaginal Sensation after Hysterectomy
From the Intimacy After Hysterectomy Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
I have no feeling at all in my vagina nine months after my total hysterectomy. Will sensation ever return?
Most likely, nerve damage occurred during your surgery, which caused your loss of sensation. For some people, vaginal sensation and the ability to orgasm does return after some time—possibly even as much as a year after surgery. For others, the damage may be permanent. Ask your gynecologist about the possibility of trying estrogen cream to enhance vaginal sensation, or testosterone to help stimulate clitoral response during intercourse. Such remedies do not always work, or they may be only partially effective. But they may be worth a try if you are facing the possibility of permanent sexual dysfunction.
Sexual dysfunction does not happen after every total hysterectomy, but it is certainly a risk that your doctor should mention to you in order to prepare you for the possibility. Some women say that their doctors failed to mention the possibility of nerve damage and sexual dysfunction before their surgeries, and the feeling of being blindsided by this outcome causes long-term resentment and anxiety. As always, HysterSisters encourages women to research surgeries and surgeons thoroughly whenever possible before undergoing procedures in order to make the best choices they can and be prepared for both positive and negative possible outcomes.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
08-03-2011 - 02:18 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Robert Moore, M.D.
3400 Old Milton Parkway
Bldg. C, Suite 330
ALPHARETTA GA 30005
|Peter Vienne & Tom Kazmierczak, M.D.
936 W. Rt 6
Morris IL 60450
|Ken Sinervo, M.D.
1140 Hammond Dr., Ste. F6220
Atlanta GA 30328
|Jeffrey R. Cragun, M.D.
1735 Creekside Dr.
Folsom CA 95630
|Lindsey Mashburn, M.D.
235 Medical Park Rd Suite 201
Mooresville NC 28117
|Matthew Rupert, M.D.
100 Covey Dr #103
Franklin TN 37067
|Gerald Harkins, M.D.
Department of OB-Gyn
P.O. Box 850, H-103
Hershey PA 17033
|Darren Schuhmacher, M.D.
1411 N. Beckley
Pavilion III Suite 152
Dallas TX 75203
|Andrew Cook, M.D.
14830 Los Gatos Blvd.
Los Gatos CA 95032