| Vaginal Atrophy|
From the Sexual Dysfunction after Hysterectomy Articles List
Vaginal scarring and atrophy
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
What is vaginal atrophy?
Vaginal atrophy is thinning and inflammation of the vaginal walls due to low estrogen. It is most common after menopause, both natural and surgical, when estrogen levels decline. Vaginal atrophy usually causes vaginal dryness and painful intercourse, which in turn causes loss of interest in sex and sexual dysfunction.
Cigarette smoking has been linked to vaginal atrophy; so if you are a smoker, consider quitting. Once you have vaginal atrophy, your risk of vaginal infections (bacterial or yeast) increases as well. It can also contribute to urinary problems, including urinary tract infections and incontinence. So it is certainly something you should not ignore.
Treatments are available to help relieve vaginal atrophy. Estrogen suppositories or creams such as Vagifem or Premarin usually help to reduce inflammation, increase natural lubrication and elasticity, and strengthen vaginal walls. This in turn can enhance sexual pleasure and overall pelvic health. Vaginal moisturizers and lubricants can also help with persistent dryness and may be sufficient to relieve mild vaginal atrophy in those who do not wish to use estrogen products.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Vaginal scarring and atrophy
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
|Jonathan Y Song, M.D.
2455 Dean St.
St. Charles IL 60175
|Arnold Advincula, M.D.
Florida Hospital Celebration Health
400 Celebration Place
Celebration FL 34747
|Debra Richardson, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Geoffrey Cly, M.D.
Suite 101, 11123 Parkview Plaza Drive
Fort Wayne IN 46845
|Mini Somasundaram, M.D.
4845 Knightsbridge Boulevard
Columbus OH 43214
|Susan D. Hunter, M.D.
626 Ed Carey Dr
Harlingen TX 78550
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424
|Aram Bonni, M.D.
25108 Marguerite Parkway Suite A-259
Mission Viejo CA 92692
|Elizabeth Stevenson-Gargiulo, M.D.
9101 North Central Expressway
Dallas TX 75231