HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Ovarian Cysts after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
Does a hysterectomy cause ovarian cysts? I never had cysts prior to my hysterectomy, but I have them now.
A hysterectomy does not directly cause ovarian cysts, but they can and do occur after a hysterectomy.
During the monthly menstrual cycle, even after a hysterectomy, a functional ovarian cyst forms on the surface of a woman’s ovary. During ovulation, the cyst opens and releases the maturing egg. If the cyst does not open to release the egg, it can fill with fluid forming a follicular cyst.
A corpus luteum cyst can occur if the egg has been released but the cyst closes again. This type of cyst often contains a small amount of blood.
Most cysts are harmless and resolve on their own, but some may cause symptoms and pain and require medical or pharmaceutical intervention. In some cases, surgery may be required to remove the cyst.
For some women, it does seem like having a hysterectomy has opened the door to ovarian cysts. There are a couple plausible explanations for why this might seem to occur.
One, the blood supply to the ovaries can be interrupted during a hysterectomy, which can cause the ovaries to malfunction. Ovary malfunction can create a hormone imbalance and, therefore, more cysts.
Two, if you used some type of hormonal treatment prior to your hysterectomy that stopped ovulation, this could have stopped the cysts from forming as well. When those hormonal treatments are discontinued after your hysterectomy, the ovaries should return to their normal cycle of ovulation and the formation of functional cysts.
In general, functional cysts should not be painful. However, there are a variety of cysts, so talk to your doctor if you experience symptoms such as pelvic fullness, pressure, or discomfort. Other symptoms of an ovarian cyst can include sudden sharp pain accompanied by nausea and pain with intercourse.
The earlier the cyst is found, the less invasive the treatment might be and the higher the chance of a complete recovery.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
08-09-2011 - 08:05 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Susan Carter, M.D.
North Colorado Medical Center/ MCR
1800 15th Street, Suite 220
Greeley CO 80631
970 353 1335
|Aarathi Cholkeri-Singh, M.D.
120 Osler Drive
Naperville IL 60540
|Melvin Ashford, M.D.
2603 White Bear Avenue N
Maplewood MN 55109
|Ken Sinervo, M.D.
1140 Hammond Dr., Ste. F6220
Atlanta GA 30328
|Richard W Farnam, M.D.
1700 N. Oregon
El Paso TX 79902
|Tiffany Jackson, M.D.
601 Clara Barton, Suite 160
Garland TX 75042
|Geoffrey Cly, M.D.
Suite 101, 11123 Parkview Plaza Drive
Fort Wayne IN 46845
|Jonathan Y Song, M.D.
2455 Dean St.
St. Charles IL 60175
|Lillian Schapiro, M.D.
275 Collier Road, Suite 250
Atlanta GA 30309