Hair - Thinning and Falling Out After Hysterectomy
| Hair - Thinning and Falling Out After Hysterectomy|
From the Post-Op Hysterectomy Articles List
Hormones and Facial Hair
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
In the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my hair is falling out. I feel like I can pull it out in chunks and that I will be bald soon. Help!
The majority of the time that hair is on your head it is in a growth phase. It is normal for people to lose 50 to 100 strands a day and on days hair is washed it can be up to 250 strands according to the Academy of Dermatology.
If this is taking place close to your surgery take heart. This can be an effect of the physical trauma of the surgery and the stress that your body has gone through. It should slow over the next few weeks.
Causes can include:
- Hormonal issues due to the surgery
- Physical trauma like surgery or intense illness
- Dramatic weight loss over a short period of time
- Taking too much Vitamin A
- Hair styles such as too tight of hairstyles like cornrows
- Hair care products such dyes, chemicals treatments, flat irons, aggresive towel drying and blow dryers.
- A heredity condition called androgenetic alopecia
- Thyroid disorders
- Autoimmune diseases
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Skin disorders such as psorias seborrheic dermatitis
If the hair loss doesn't appear to be related to your surgery make sure that you see a dermatologist so they can make a determination as to what might be causing your hair loss. They may use blood tests to determine the cause.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Hormones and Facial Hair
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
|Emily Cunningham, M.D.
1720 Nicholasville Road
Lexington KY 40503
|Bret Lewis, M.D.
5780 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd., Ste 295
(#2 Location) 11975 Morris Rd., Ste. 310 , Alpharetta, GA 30004
Atlanta GA 30342
|Sherry L Neyman, M.D.
Renaissance Women's Group
12201 Renfert Way Ste 200
Austin TX 78758
|Molly Senokozlieff, M.D.
9279 A Medical Plaza Dr.
North Charleston SC 29406
|Scott Dinesen, M.D.
599 W State Street
Doylestown PA 18901
|Charles Miller, M.D.
120 Osler Drive
Naperville IL 60540
|Geoffrey Bowers, M.D.
834 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia PA 19107
|Ken Sinervo, M.D.
1140 Hammond Dr., Ste. F6220
Atlanta GA 30328
|James Kondrup, M.D.
161 Riverside Drive
Binghamton NY 13905