HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Hair Loss and Menopause
From the Menopause and Hormones Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
It's been several years since my hysterectomy, and my hair is now falling out in chunks! Is it related to the hysterectomy?
The hair on your head is in an almost constant growth cycle. It is normal for to lose 50–100 strands a day (more when you shower) as old hair falls out and new hair grows in.
As you go through changes following a hysterectomy and menopause, you may notice additional hair loss. While issues revolving around a hysterectomy can lead to some additional hair loss, there are actually many reasons for hair loss in women. Here is a list of top reasons women experience hair loss:
- Genetics (this accounts for the majority of hair loss issues)
- Hormone imbalance
- Physical trauma (e.g. surgery or intense illness)
- Hair care habits (i.e. dying, ironing, blow drying, harsh towel drying, styling too tight)
- Thyroid disorders
- Autoimmune diseases
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Skin disorders (e.g. psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis)
If you find yourself struggling with prolonged, excessive hair loss, it's time to see the dermatologist. S/he can help determine the cause and provide a treatment plan.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
08-28-2011 - 05:19 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Alan Greenberg, M.D.
Centennial Medical Center Pavilion 1
4401 Coit Road, Suite 205
Frisco TX 75035
|Sherry L Neyman, M.D.
Renaissance Women's Group
12201 Renfert Way Ste 200
Austin TX 78758
|Tamer Seckin, M.D.
872 FIFTH AVE
NEW YORK NY 10065
|Debra Richardson, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Marshall Bovelsky, M.D.
200 Banning St
Dover DE 19904
|Nathan Mordel, M.D.
105 Collier Road Suite 1010
Atlanta GA 30309
|Sean Kossari, M.D.
14901 Rinaldi Street
Mission Hills CA 91345
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424
|Robert Moore, M.D.
3400 Old Milton Parkway
Bldg. C, Suite 330
ALPHARETTA GA 30005