HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
From the Pelvic Floor Articles List
What is a TOT sling? How is it different from a TVT sling?
A transobturator (TOT) sling is used to correct stress urinary incontinence, which is a condition that allows urine to leak when sneezing, coughing, laughing, or otherwise putting pressure on the bladder. The TOT sling is a ribbon or mesh-like structure placed permanently under the urethra and attached to subfascial tissue through two small incisions in the groin area. If the TOT sling procedure is performed without any other procedures done at the same time, the surgery will probably take about half an hour, and recovery may take a week or two.
A TOT sling differs from a TVT sling in its location and the incisions made. A TOT is believed to carry fewer risks of complications because the anchoring stitches are made in subfascial tissue through smaller incisions, while the TVT sling is anchored deeper inside the abdomen and allows the possibility of accidental damage to nerves and blood vessels in the pelvis. If you get a TOT sling, you will have two small incisions in your groin, in the creases of your thighs where they meet the pelvis.
Both TOT and TVT slings can be fashioned from synthetic mesh, biomesh, or your own faschia that the surgeon harvests from your thigh or abdomen during surgery. You will want to find out which material your surgeon wants to use and research the successes and risks of each kind before moving forward with your surgery.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon