HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Recovery Advice for after Rectocele Repair
From the Pelvic Floor Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
What can I expect during my recovery from rectocele repair surgery?
A rectocele occurs when the fascia, or tissue wall, between the rectum and vagina becomes weak and bulges into the vagina. It requires surgical repair when it becomes difficult or impossible to pass stool. or when the bulge (prolapse) gets so severe that it protrudes outside the body.
HysterSisters who have had rectocele repair report that, though getting their rectoceles repaired has been worth it, it involves a relatively difficult recovery—particularly if it is performed at the same time as other pelvic floor repairs. They say to always follow your doctor’s instructions, and they offer these additional bits of advice to help you get through it.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
- Take stool softeners and fiber supplements to help keep your bowel movements soft and regular in the days and weeks following your repair surgery. You may have to use laxatives as well if your BMs continue to be difficult due to swelling. You do not want to strain during bowel movements at all, or you risk tearing stitches and undoing the repair.
- Stay well-hydrated to prevent constipation.
- Do not lift more weight than your doctor recommends (usually just ten pounds) during your recovery.
- Get lots of help if you can—particularly if you have small children—for several weeks after your surgery. Lifting too much weight can cause you to strain and undo your repair. (In fact, Sisters with young children say they would hold off on the repair until the children are older if at all possible due to the difficulty of avoiding lifting and the danger of ruining the repair if you do it even once.)
- Do not try to have sexual intercourse before your doctor clears you for it. But do expect that your satisfaction from sex may be greatly increased after the repair!
- Expect up to 12 weeks of recovery time. Your doctor may not clear you for sex or even many everyday activities earlier than this, depending on the extent of your repair and the rate of your healing.
08-29-2011 - 01:46 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Lillian Schapiro, M.D.
275 Collier Road, Suite 250
Atlanta GA 30309
|Jack Inge, M.D.
4414 Lake Boone Trail
Raleigh NC 27612
|Joseph S. Valenti, M.D.
2805 S. Mayhill Road
Denton TX 76208
|Ellen Wilson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd - Dept of OBGYN
Dallas TX 75390
|Ruslana Kadze, M.D.
5525 Etiwanda Avenue
Tarzana (Los Angeles) CA 91356
|Sharon Ransom, M.D.
442 West High Street
Bryan OH 43506
|Steven McCarus, M.D.
400 Celebration Place Suite310
Celebration FL 34747
|John Miklos, M.D.
3400 Old Milton Parkway
Bldg. C, Suite 330
Alpharetta GA 30005
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424