HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
From the Pelvic Floor Articles List
What is splinting?
A rectocele occurs when the wall between the rectum and vagina weakens, allowing a bulge to form into the vagina. Some women with rectoceles experience constipation due to difficulty pushing stool past the bulge. Straining during a bowel movement worsens the bulge, so “splinting” becomes necessary to help the stool pass. Splinting means inserting one’s fingers into the vagina to push the bulge in and assist the stool in passing through the rectum. Though splinting alleviates the constipation temporarily, HysterSisters say that it is an unpleasant process that has a significant negative impact on a woman’s quality of life.
An alternative to splinting for some women is using a pessary. A pessary is a plastic device inserted into the vagina to support the vaginal wall. However, depending on the location and severity of the rectocele, a pessary may or may not help with a woman’s difficult bowel movements. Plus, pessaries must be fitted by a doctor and removed monthly for cleaning and reinsertion. They are generally not a sufficient permanent fix, and most women eventually opt for repair surgery when their rectoceles become severe and splinting is a daily issue.
In the meantime, if you are having to splint regularly to have a bowel movement, you can work on reducing straining by taking steps to keep your stool soft and regular by increasing fiber in your diet, staying well hydrated, and taking stool softeners as necessary.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Bret Lewis, M.D.
5780 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd., Ste 295
(#2 Location) 11975 Morris Rd., Ste. 310 , Alpharetta, GA 30004
Atlanta GA 30342
|Susan Carter, M.D.
North Colorado Medical Center/ MCR
1800 15th Street, Suite 220
Greeley CO 80631
970 353 1335
|Debra Richardson, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390
|Linda Wrigley, M.D.
4200 Lake Otis Pkwy Ste 101
Anchorage AK 99508
|Emily Cunningham, M.D.
1720 Nicholasville Road
Lexington KY 40503
|Geoffrey Cly, M.D.
Suite 101, 11123 Parkview Plaza Drive
Fort Wayne IN 46845
|Peter Vienne & Tom Kazmierczak, M.D.
936 W. Rt 6
Morris IL 60450
|John Lenihan, M.D.
314 ML King Jr. Way
Tacoma WA 98465
|Francisco Garcini, M.D.
1870 Silver Cross Blvd
New Lenox IL 60451