HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Bleeding/Spotting Many Years after Hysterectomy
From the GYN Cancer Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
What could cause vaginal bleeding/spotting many years after my hysterectomy?
First of all, if you are experiencing heavy, bright red bleeding, go immediately to an emergency room.
Some women experience vaginal bleeding or spotting many months or years after their hysterectomy—even as much as 25 years or more post-op. This can cause understandable concern, particularly for those who are cancer survivors.
Some reasons for vaginal bleeding that HysterSisters have experienced include vaginal dryness, “mini periods,” menopause, and insufficient hormone replacement therapy. Vaginal dryness, a common side effect of hysterectomy, makes vaginal tissues thinner and more prone to bleeding from sexual intercourse or other irritations. One can even develop fissures, or cracks, in dry vaginal tissues that cause bleeding. “Mini periods” can continue if you had a subtotal hysterectomy and the cervix was retained. Essentially, a tiny portion of uterus remains, and as the ovaries continue to cycle, that small piece of uterus continues to shed lining just as before. Menopause also still comes to those who have had hysterectomies but retained one or more ovaries, and the hormonal changes might cause vaginal dryness and slight spotting from time to time. Similarly, hormone imbalances from insufficient HRT can cause the same types of issues.
Any unexplained bleeding warrants a trip to the doctor, just to be sure. Even if there is no pain and spotting is light, you will want to rule out cancer or precancerous conditions for your peace of mind. A quick pap smear or biopsy will let you know if any abnormal cells are present and further investigation is required. If it is simply vaginal dryness, estrogen cream or lubricants might solve your slight bleeding easily. Silver nitrate treatments applied by your gynecologist directly to bleeding tissues can also clear up the problem quickly.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
08-29-2011 - 12:49 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Arnold Advincula, M.D.
Columbia Ob/Gyn Midtown
51 West 51st St, 3rd FL
New York NY 10019
|Peter Vienne & Tom Kazmierczak, M.D.
936 W. Rt 6
Morris IL 60450
|Joseph S. Valenti, M.D.
2805 S. Mayhill Road
Denton TX 76208
|Lauren Streicher, M.D.
Gynecologic Specialists of Northwestern, S.C
680 N. Lake Shore Dr., Suite 117
Chicago IL 60611
|Robert Furr, M.D.
Women's Surgery Center
1604 Gunbarrel Road
Chattanooga TN 37421
|Antonio Gargiulo, M.D.
Brigham and Women's Hospital
75 Francis Street
Boston MA 02115
|Devin Garza, M.D.
12201 Renfert Way, STE# 215
Austin TX 78758
|Ted Lee, M.D.
Magee Womens Hospital
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh PA 15213
412 641 6412
|Jenifer Burkhalter, M.D.
950 Capitol Mall
Sacramento CA 95831