HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
From the GYN Diagnosis Articles List
I have been experiencing excessive clear watery vaginal discharge, enough that I have to wear pads constantly and bring a change of clothes with me wherever I go. My doctor suspects it may be fluid collecting in my fallopian tubes. What causes fluid in the fallopian tubes?
When fluid collects in a fallopian tube, it is called hydrosalpinx. Fallopian tubes are very delicate, and they can swell shut when injured, irritated, or infected. When both ends of a fallopian tube close, it fills with fluid and expands. The fluid eventually leaks out through the uterus and vagina, causing a clear discharge similar to what you describe.
Common causes of infection or injury to the fallopian tubes include pelvic inflammatory disease, sexually transmitted diseases, endometriosis, IUDs, and injury or adhesions from abdominal surgeries. Cancer is also a possibility and should be ruled out, but it is not a common cause of hydrosalpinx.
Hydrosalpinx usually affects both fallopian tubes and can often be detected with an ultrasound, particularly if it very distended (swollen). A hydrosalpinx can grow to several centimeters in diameter, and such swelling would be easy to see on an ultrasound. However, if the hydrosalpinx is still small and is not detected with an ultrasound, your doctor may go on to run an x-ray scan with contrast, which is called a hysterosalpingram (HSG), to see if fluid is collecting in one or more fallopian tubes and failing to drain into the uterus. If that test is unsuccessful and your doctor still suspects a fluid-filled fallopian tube, he or she may perform a laparoscopy to insert a tiny camera into your abdomen to take a look at the fallopian tubes firsthand.
Once hydrosalpinx is positively diagnosed and other conditions are ruled out, there are three main treatment options: physical therapy (massage to help open the tubes and release the fluid), salpingostomy (putting a small hole in the tube to drain it), or salpingectomy (surgically removing the fallopian tubes).
Hydrosalpinx can cause excessive discharge, abdominal pain, and infertility. The only preventive measure you can take is avoiding contracting STDs and treating pelvic infections promptly with antibiotics. Once the damage is done to the fallopian tube(s), it is often irreversible.
It is a great idea to seek a second opinion in cases like these. Some doctors are quick to recommend a hysterectomy for virtually any gynecological problem. But in this case, if the second physician is correct, you may be able to solve the discharge problem and keep your uterus and ovaries intact.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Peter Vienne & Tom Kazmierczak, M.D.
936 W. Rt 6
Morris IL 60450
|Jennifer Hayes, M.D.
Visionary Centre for Women
2695 Ulmerton Rd
Clearwater FL 33762
|Lauren Streicher, M.D.
Gynecologic Specialists of Northwestern, S.C
680 N. Lake Shore Dr., Suite 117
Chicago IL 60611
|Brad Cohen, M.D.
2477 Route 516
Old Bridge NJ 08857
|Leonard Rosen, M.D.
3650 Joseph Siewick Dr. #203
Fairfax VA 22033
|Mark R. Preston, M.D.
60 Westwood Ave Ste 200
Waterbury CT 06708
|Larry R. Glazerman, M.D.
1098 W Baltimore Ave
Health center 3 3404
Media PA 19063
|Linda Nicoll, M.D.
NYU Faculty Practice GYN
NYU Trinity Center - 111 Broadway 2nd Floor
New York NY 10006
|David Zisow, M.D.
2005 Rock Spring Rd Ste. 3
Forest Hill - Baltimore MD 21050