HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
limits on lifting after vaginal prolapse surgery
From the Ask a Doctor - Hysterectomy Related Questions Articles List
A year ago i had a hysterectomy because my uterus was prolapsing. 4 months after that my intestines started to prolapse. I was told I had very thin skin in that area. 5 weeks ago I had rectocele surgery for my intestine prolapse. They were going to use mesh but said my skin was to thin. They just used my own tissue/skin some how. i like to lift weights and pick up my children but now im concerned that I will never be able to lift anything heavy again because of my thin skin. Is this true?
Reply by Keita Sakon, MD
Well, lifting something heavy or increasing pressure inside the abdomen could make your prolapse worse.
After prolapse surgery I have patients not lift > 30lbs x 4 weeks. I have heard of some others instructing patients to not to lift x 8 weeks. There is no good data to support what time period is best, but it's a good idea not to strain too much for "several" weeks at least.
The responses in the "Ask a Doctor" articles are provided by M.D./Surgeons with credentials in their linked profiles. The HysterSisters.com staff thanks the doctors for their participation and reminds all readers to discuss their medical concerns with their personal physicians for specific information about their health choices, as this is in no way intended to take the place of members consulting with their own physicians.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Lino Montilla, M.D.
3650 Joseph Siewick Dr. #203
Fairfax VA 22033
|Caren C Reaves, M.D.
Caring for Women
2805 S. Mayhill Rd
Denton TX 76208
|Ken Sinervo, M.D.
1140 Hammond Dr., Ste. F6220
Atlanta GA 30328
|Elizabeth Case, M.D.
1720 Nicholasville Road
Lexington KY 40503
|Ruslana Kadze, M.D.
5525 Etiwanda Avenue
Tarzana (Los Angeles) CA 91356
|Robert Furr, M.D.
Women's Surgery Center
1604 Gunbarrel Road
Chattanooga TN 37421
|Amie Napier, M.D.
Medical City Hospital 7777 Forest Lane Suite A331
Dallas TX 75230
|David Zisow, M.D.
2005 Rock Spring Rd Ste. 3
Forest Hill - Baltimore MD 21050
|Susan D. Hunter, M.D.
626 Ed Carey Dr
Harlingen TX 78550