HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Blurry Vision after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
I just had a hysterectomy and my vision is really messed up. I am having a hard time seeing anything close to my face with my glasses on or contacts in. I am also getting some double vision. How long does it last?
There can be multiple reasons for blurred vision following surgery: anesthesia, medications, positioning during surgery, changes in the body and lifestyle following surgery, and hormones.
One of the side effects of the anesthesia medications can be blurry vision, which should not last more than a few hours or a few days. The medications used to manage pain and surgical issues, including anti-nausea patches placed behind the ear, may also affect vision as long as the medications are being used.
Depending on your position during surgery, you may have had swelling in the head and around the eyes that may affect vision for a time until the swelling subsides. A corneal abrasion from the cornea drying during surgery, especially if the procedure was longer than planned, could also lead to impaired vision. Your doctor may refer you to an ophthalmologist for treatment if this is the case.
Changing your diet and being dehydrated during the days leading to and following a hysterectomy may affect vision until a normal and healthy diet is resumed and the body is hydrated properly. Additionally, anemia from too much blood loss before and after surgery may be the culprit, in which case iron supplements or a blood transfusion may be necessary.
Fluctuations in estrogen can also lead to blurry vision and eye problems. For those who have had a bilateral oophorectomy, finding the right estrogen replacement balance could be the key to clear vision. For those who retained at least one ovary, it simply may take time for the ovary to function properly and provide the right estrogen level. Eye drops, either over the counter or prescription, or punctal plugs may help if the issue is from dry eyes even from hormonal issues.
Because some issues with impaired vision can be serious, check with your doctor about your eye symptoms.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon