HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Post Rectocele Complications | Rectovaginal Fistula
From the Pelvic Floor Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
Four days after my rectocele surgery, I had air passing from my vagina, like passing wind. On the fifth day, it got worse and I passed a large amount of liquid stool through my vagina. What is going on?
Call your doctor immediately to report this issue. It is most likely a rectovaginal fistula, or abnormal opening, that has formed between the bowel and the vagina, allowing stool and air to leak through.
Fistulas are not uncommon following abdominal surgeries, particularly rectocele surgery, in which the fascia between the vagina and rectum is already weakened prior to the procedure. Fistulas can be caused by any injury, infection, or inflammation of the organ(s) involved. Some women experience a fistula between the bladder and the vagina, and others report stool leakage that indicates a fistula has formed between the bowel and the vagina. Leakage might range from mere drops that appear intermittently to what some describe as a “gush” of urine or stool. Any discharge that does not seem normal warrants a call to the doctor’s office to be sure. A physician can determine relatively quickly whether a fistula has formed or not and will have a plan to quickly fix the problem.
The majority of fistulas require surgical repair, and the success rate of such repairs is about 75%, depending on the size and location of the fistula in question. Though no one is eager to undergo more surgery, it is important to take care of the issue quickly to prevent infection or to get it quickly under control.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
09-25-2011 - 07:23 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Alf Adler, M.D.
17739 Main St. Suite 110
Dumfries VA 22026
|Diane DiTusa, M.D.
2671 hwy 70
Manasquan NJ 08736
|Katherine Hsiao, M.D.
3905 Sacramento Street, Suite 204
San Francisco CA 94118
|Jonathan Y Song, M.D.
2455 Dean St.
St. Charles IL 60175
|Charles Miller, M.D.
120 Osler Drive
Naperville IL 60540
|Jon Nielsen, M.D.
9825 Hospital Dr. Suite 205
Maple Grove MN 55369
|Geoffrey Cly, M.D.
Suite 101, 11123 Parkview Plaza Drive
Fort Wayne IN 46845
|Stephen Zweibach, M.D.
815 S Parsons Ave
Brandon FL 33511
|Marshall Bovelsky, M.D.
200 Banning St
Dover DE 19904