HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Hot Flashes | But I Kept my Ovaries!
From the Menopause and Hormones Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
I had my hysterectomy about three months ago. I kept my ovaries because they were fine, but I think I'm having mini hot flashes. They happen throughout the day, but mainly at night. I've always been a "cold" person, but now I'm pretty warm most of the time. Is this normal?
Sometimes the ovaries stop working temporarily as a result of a hysterectomy. It’s as if they go into a bit of a shock and stop producing hormones for some time. Or, damage may occur to the ovaries’ blood supply, causing them to malfunction. When your ovaries are not producing enough estrogen, you’ll experience mild menopausal symptoms until the ovaries normalize again. Temporary ovarian shutdown usually lasts for a few weeks to a couple of months.
Occasionally, the ovaries will shut down permanently after a hysterectomy—even in younger women—for no apparent reason. If this happens, you’ll go through surgical menopause. Surgical menopause can hit a woman harder and faster than natural menopause, and it can be particularly difficult to deal with for a woman who kept her ovaries in the expectation that she would avoid menopause altogether for some time to come. Some studies suggest as many as 50 percent of women who undergo a hysterectomy and retain their ovaries, will have them cease to function within five years. The good news with that is that even if they do shut down, they will continue to provide us with small amounts of those much-needed hormones, easing the transition into menopause to some degree.
If you suspect that this is what is happening, ask your doctor to check your follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) levels. You can manage menopausal symptoms such as hot flashes, sleeplessness, vaginal dryness, etc. with prescription or over-the-counter remedies in the short term. If your ovaries don’t come back, though, you may want to explore the idea of hormone replacement therapy (HRT). There are positives and negatives associated with HRT, so do your research and get a second opinion before proceeding if that’s the direction you decide to go.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
09-29-2011 - 03:00 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Sean Kossari, M.D.
14901 Rinaldi Street
Mission Hills CA 91345
|Katherine Hsiao, M.D.
3905 Sacramento Street, Suite 204
San Francisco CA 94118
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424
|Susan Carter, M.D.
North Colorado Medical Center/ MCR
1800 15th Street, Suite 220
Greeley CO 80631
970 353 1335
|Richard W Farnam, M.D.
1700 N. Oregon
El Paso TX 79902
|Diane DiTusa, M.D.
2671 hwy 70
Manasquan NJ 08736
|Jennifer Elliott, M.D.
980 Johnson Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30342
|Linda Wrigley, M.D.
4200 Lake Otis Pkwy Ste 101
Anchorage AK 99508
|Mayra J. Thompson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd Dept OBGYN
Dallas TX 75290