HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Seroma Risk after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
I’ve heard that you can have a seroma after a hysterectomy. What is a seroma and how is it treated?
A seroma is an accumulation of fluid that can occur after any kind of surgery, including a hysterectomy. It is normally a clear fluid that is leaking from damaged blood and lymphatic vessels through an incision. Small seromas may not require any treatment; they often resolve on their own. Larger seromas may require that the fluid be removed, usually with a needle. If the fluid doesn’t stop accumulating, the fluid may need to be drained multiple times, or a drain may be placed at the site.
Seromas can be associated with an increased risk of infection, leading to an opening of incisions at the surgical site. They can interfere with healing. If they become infected, they are typically treated with antibiotics. In rare cases, surgery may be required to treat a seroma.
Symptoms of a seroma can include:
- Leakage of clear fluid from a surgical incision
- Redness, warmth, or swelling at or near a surgical site
- Tenderness near a surgical incision
- Fever and chills
Seek medical attention if you experience any of the following:
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
- A fever in excess of 101 degrees Fahrenheit
- Pus draining from a surgical site
- Severe pain at a surgical site
- Significant separation of a surgical wound
- Uncontrollable or persistent bleeding from a surgical site
11-10-2011 - 07:05 AM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Sharon Ransom, M.D.
442 West High Street
Bryan OH 43506
|Jennifer Hayes, M.D.
Visionary Centre for Women
2695 Ulmerton Rd
Clearwater FL 33762
|Eric Grossman, M.D.
903 Sheppard Road
Voorhees NJ 08043
|Ellen Wilson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd - Dept of OBGYN
Dallas TX 75390
|Andrew Blechman, M.D.
1944 Rt 33 Suite 101B
Neptune NJ 07754
|Arnold Advincula, M.D.
Columbia Ob/Gyn Midtown
51 West 51st St, 3rd FL
New York NY 10019
|James Greenberg, M.D.
1153 Centre Street #36
Jamaica Plain MA 02130
|Kimberly Newman, M.D.
10030 Edison Square Drive
Concord NC 28027
|Caren C Reaves, M.D.
Caring for Women
2805 S. Mayhill Rd
Denton TX 76208