HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Endometriosis Symptoms Years after a Hysterectomy
From the Endometriosis Articles List
I was diagnosed with endometriosis and had a TAH/BSO over 10 years ago. I used HRT for the first two year before quitting. Suddenly, I have symptoms that lead me to believe that endometriosis is back. Can endometriosis be an issue this many years after a hysterectomy and oophorectomy?
The BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
published Laparoscopic Excision of Endometriosis: The Treatment of Choice?
which stated, "Endometriosis is an extra-uterine disease, and the aim of treatment should be to remove all the extra-uterine disease while retaining all the healthy tissue including the uterus and ovaries." Endometriosis surgeon Dr. Tamer Seckin further comments, "Patients are sometimes misled to believe that the only long-term solution is removal of all female reproductive organs - a myth. Endometriosis is not cured by removal of the reproductive organs. This dangerous misconception in the medical field is responsible for countless, needless hysterectomies performed each year."
Removing the uterus and ovaries does not cure endometriosis. If all of the endometriosis is thoroughly and meticulously excised by a skilled endometriosis specialist, recurrence of endometriosis is low with or without removing the reproductive organs. However, when incomplete removal of the implants occurs, recurrence is higher. One of the areas were endometriosis can be missed is the peritoneal surfaces where it may go undetected and thus untreated.
What some women and doctors do not realize is endometriosis can create its own supply of estrogen. Thus, even if you have had a hysterectomy with oophorectomy and you have chosen not to use HRT, you could still have issues with endometriosis. It can be self sustaining. Over time, the implants can increase to the point where they begin to cause symptoms, and/or the implants allow for the creation of adhesions which may lead to symptoms.
Some of your symptoms may also be related to no or low estrogen. Women who choose not to use HRT in an attempt to prevent endometriosis recurrence can inadvertently open the door for new health issues.
Women with endometriosis also have a higher rate of some co-existing health issues including autoimmune disorders, thyroid issues, allergies, Interstitial Cystitis, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and more. These health issues can cause symptoms that may be mistaken for endometriosis and symptoms of some of them may be exorbitant from a lack of estrogen.
To help you and your medical team determine if your issues are endometriosis, it can be helpful for you to keep a detailed symptom diary
. You may also need to undergo various tests to rule out other conditions as causes for your symptoms. Try not to be discouraged or panic, but do seek medical attention for symptoms that are indicative of endometriosis post hysterectomy.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|James Kondrup, M.D.
161 Riverside Drive
Binghamton NY 13905
|Lori Warren, M.D.
3900 Kresge Way
Louisville KY 40207
|Brad Cohen, M.D.
2477 Route 516
Old Bridge NJ 08857
|Katherine Hsiao, M.D.
3905 Sacramento Street, Suite 204
San Francisco CA 94118
|Robert Castle, M.D.
3650 Joseph Siewick Dr. #203
Fairfax VA 22033
|Robert Moore, M.D.
3400 Old Milton Parkway
Bldg. C, Suite 330
ALPHARETTA GA 30005
|Lauren Streicher, M.D.
Gynecologic Specialists of Northwestern, S.C
680 N. Lake Shore Dr., Suite 117
Chicago IL 60611
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424
|Jocelyn Carlo, M.D.
1924 Highway 35
WALL NJ 07719