HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Alcohol Consumption before Hysterectomy
From the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
Before my surgery, I can't have any food or drink after midnight. I can eat normally until then, but I wasn’t told anything about alcohol. When should I stop drinking alcohol before my surgery? Can I have a glass of wine the night before surgery?
Most medical professionals recommend avoiding alcohol for at least 24 hours prior to surgery. Due to recent research, some physicians suggest minimizing alcohol consumption in the weeks leading up to surgery. In fact, one study says that giving up alcohol starting 3–8 weeks before surgery will significantly reduce your chances of post-op complications.
It has long been known that chronic and heavy alcohol consumption causes bodily harm. However, even smaller amounts of alcohol can increase surgical complication risks. Research has indicated that drinking as little as two to three drinks per day can lead to higher rates of infection and complication following surgery. That amount of alcohol also slows recovery and reduces immune capacity in patients, causing them to fall victim to pneumonia, heart muscle disease, and bleeding episodes following surgery.
The most common surgical complications that may result from alcohol consumption are bleeding episodes, heart and lung complications, and postoperative infections. Alcohol use can also impact your anesthesia experience as it can change the effectiveness of the medications used. Further, it could complicate your recovery and delay healing.
Before your surgery, talk openly and honestly with your doctor about your normal alcohol consumption. S/he can then advise you regarding when to stop drinking alcoholic beverages. Additionally, knowing your specific habits can allow both your surgeon and anesthesiologist to take potentially life-saving steps for you during your surgery and recovery.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
05-09-2013 - 05:54 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon