HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Prolapse | Vaginal Vault
From the Pelvic Floor Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
I think I am experiencing vaginal vault prolapse. What causes this and what are my treatment options?
When the top portion of the vagina falls downward towards the opening of the vagina, a vaginal vault prolapse occurs. This type of prolapse most often occurs in women who have had a hysterectomy. Diagnosis and treatment can depend on the severity of the condition.
Weakened vaginal and pelvic muscles and tissues can be a leading cause of vaginal vault prolapse. Though this type of prolapse occurs most often in women who have had a hysterectomy, a lack of estrogen during menopause can also cause women with a uterus to experience vaginal vault prolapse. This type of prolapse can also occur along with a uterine prolapse and other types of prolapses.
Symptoms of vaginal vault prolapse can include pelvic pressure or heaviness, backache, vaginal bleeding, painful intercourse, and bladder issues. Additionally, there can be a mass or bulge in the vagina. Based on your symptoms, your doctor may be able to diagnose a vaginal vault prolapse through a pelvic exam. Other testing may be needed to determine if other prolapses are occurring concurrently.
The severity of the prolapse and symptoms will determine the treatment plan. Non-surgical options may include a pessary. There are some life style adjustments that can be made as well. These can include pelvic floor exercises, increasing fiber and fluid intake, losing weight, avoiding straining, treating a chronic cough, and using hormones.
Surgical choices will depend on your doctor, your medical facility, and your specific situation. Procedures may be done to attach the vagina to pelvic ligaments or lower part of the spine. A type of mesh or artificial tissue may be used to make the repairs, or grafts of your own tissue may be utilized.
It is very important to share all of your symptoms with your doctor as other prolapses often occur along with a vaginal vault prolapse. This can allow all prolapse concerns to be treated together. Additionally, it is very important to seek more than one opinion before undergoing treatment for vaginal vault prolapse. Because doctors disagree as to which surgery options offer the best outcome with the least risks, seeking multiple opinions can help you determine what is best for you. Before making any final decisions, you may want to speak to both gynecological surgeons who specialize in minimally invasive surgery and urogynecologists.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
06-10-2013 - 10:53 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon