HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Scar Care after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
What’s the best way to care for hysterectomy incisions to minimize scarring? Is there any way to make old scars fade?
Some women wear their hysterectomy scars proudly, while others don’t seem to think much about them at all. Many women, however, hate the sight of their scars and feel intensely self-conscious about them—rightfully so. There is a great deal of advice on this subject. Some of it amounts to little more than old wives’ tales—a waste of money and time—but there are some methods and products that many women report do make a difference.
Everyone scars differently. Some skin types and colors produce more visible scars, no matter what you do. And the closure method used by your surgeon and the care and expertise he or she employs in the process certainly have a great impact on the eventual appearance of your scar(s) as well. But how you care for your incisions and scars can make a difference, too.
First and foremost, always follow your doctor’s instructions about incision care, and call his or her office immediately if you see any signs of infection or separation. Do not apply anything to your incision until your doctor tells you it is safe to do so. Some women report that becoming active sooner than their doctors recommend results in wider scars. Another reason for wide scars is if steri-strips or glue lose adhesion too early and the patient does not return to the doctor for fresh strips or glue. Infection can also cause bumpy, wide scar tissue to form, so watch carefully for any signs of poor healing.
Once the incision is healed, many doctors and patients recommend massaging cocoa butter into the scar tissue daily to help it heal flat and smooth and to fade more quickly. Many women also report positive results from applying vitamin E oil directly to the affected skin. This helps restore elasticity and flexibility to the scar tissue and aids in healing. And finally, commercial products such as Mederma or Scar Esthetique
or Scar FX
claim to be clinically proven to be effective at visibly reducing the appearance of scars.
Finally, if a scar is truly bothersome or unsightly and does not shrink and fade sufficiently over time, you can consult with your doctor or a plastic surgeon about the possibility of scar revision surgery. Unless the scar somehow impedes your ability to function, however, it will be considered a cosmetic procedure and insurance will probably not reimburse you for the cost.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
06-14-2013 - 02:21 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Jennifer Elliott, M.D.
980 Johnson Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30342
|Mark R. Preston, M.D.
60 Westwood Ave Ste 200
Waterbury CT 06708
|Susan D. Hunter, M.D.
626 Ed Carey Dr
Harlingen TX 78550
|Kimberly Newman, M.D.
10030 Edison Square Drive
Concord NC 28027
|Ted Lee, M.D.
Magee Womens Hospital
300 Halket Street
Pittsburgh PA 15213
412 641 6412
|John Miklos, M.D.
3400 Old Milton Parkway
Bldg. C, Suite 330
Alpharetta GA 30005
|Michele Cowling, M.D.
303 Nicollet Blvd
Burnsville MN 55337
|Susan Murrmann, M.D.
7205 WOlf River Blvd Ste 150
Memphis TN 38120
|Megan Daw, M.D.
Western Carolina Women's Specialty Center
2100 Ridgefield Blvd
Asheville NC 28806