HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Pelvic Floor Articles

HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy


Why Should I See A Urogynecologist?

From the Pelvic Floor Articles List

Woman talking with urologistSince I have entered menopause, I have been having a lot of different problems with my pelvic floor. What type of doctor would be the best to help me for all of these issues?

As a woman, you are a complex creature. Your reproductive system is not only unique, it is also intertwined with your urological system. Issues with one system can thus cause complications with the other, especially during menopause.

When these issues happen, you can schedule an appointment with your gynecologist or ask for a referral to a urologist. There's another option, too – a urogynecologist.

What is a urogynecologist?

A urogynecologist is a doctor who has training and education in urology, gynecology, and obstetrics. This type of surgeon treats pelvic floor dysfunction and disorders with all female pelvic organs and their supporting muscles and tissues.

A urogynecologist can help women before and after hysterectomy or during menopause. This type of specialist understands how the urological and reproductive systems are intertwined and can help women manage problems that arise between the two.

What conditions does a urogynecologist treat?

A urogynecologist can diagnosis and treat all pelvic floor conditions, including incontinence, pelvic organ prolapse, an overactive bladder, and pelvic pain. They are also experts when it comes to pelvic floor reconstruction surgery.

What treatments are used by a urogynecologist?

A urogynecologist is able to use a variety of treatment methods from minimally invasive options – such as medications or pessaries – to more invasive methods which may include reconstruction surgery. They can also use behavioral therapy which may include biofeedback, electric stimulation, dietary modifications, relaxation techniques, and pelvic floor therapy, training, and exercises. A urogynecologist can also perform yearly well-women exams.

When to choose a urogynecologist?

Depending on your insurance, you can consult with a urogynecologist any time you have an issue with your pelvic floor. You may also want to consult with a urogynecologist if you are having pelvic floor issues that are not being treated successfully by your gynecologist or urologist, or if your quality of life is suffering. If you have a diagnosis that requires pelvic floor reconstruction surgery, a urogynecologist is a good option. A urogynecologist is also a good choice for a second opinion for any pelvic floor concerns.

This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.

11-28-2016 - 04:23 PM


Do you have a question?

If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet

What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with pages of information, helpful tips and hints to prepare and recover from hysterectomy. Free download for members.

Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery

Mesh Panty

Mesh panties are stretchy and light - perfect for holding peri pads securely during hysterectomy recovery. [...More]

Post-Op Panty

Post-operative compression panty with medical grade silicone to speed hysterectomy recovery + reduce scarring. [...More]

Softest Bra Ever

When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. Two in a value pack for your hysterectomy recovery. [...More]

HysterSisters Articles

Options to Hysterectomy
Treatment Alternatives
Pre-Op Hysterectomy
Post-Op Hysterectomy
Separate Surgeries
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Pelvic Floor
Separate Surgeries
Fitness after Hysterectomy
GYN Cancer
Breast Health
Grief and Loss
Uterine Fibroids
GYN Genetics
Hysterectomy Stories
Ask A Doctor

Find a Surgeon

HysterSisters Doctor Directory
Gerald Harkins, M.D.
Department of OB-Gyn
P.O. Box 850, H-103
Hershey PA 17033
Aarathi Cholkeri-Singh, M.D.
120 Osler Drive
Ste. 100
Naperville IL 60540
Ranae Yockey, M.D.
800 Biesterfield Suite 750
Elk Grove Village IL 60007
Megan Daw, M.D.
Western Carolina Women's Specialty Center
2100 Ridgefield Blvd
Asheville NC 28806
Quanita Crable, M.D.
8160 Walnut Hill Lane
Ste. LL-001
Dallas TX 75231
Andrew Cook, M.D.
14830 Los Gatos Blvd.
Suite 300
Los Gatos CA 95032
Amie Napier, M.D.
Medical City Hospital 7777 Forest Lane Suite A331
Suite A331
Dallas TX 75230
Mark Richey, M.D.
1200 Airport Heights
Ste 205
Anchorage AK 99508
Natalya Danilyants, M.D.
3206 Tower Oaks Blvd, Suite 200
Rockville MD 20852


Hysterectomy News

February 20,2017


HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive


Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays

Request Information

I am a HysterSister


Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours


Your Hysterectomy Date

CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing