HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Gas Gas Gas after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
What can I do about post-op gas?
If you are suffering from gas problems after your hysterectomy, the first thing to do is cut out gassy foods like beans and broccoli, while still getting plenty of fiber. Secondly, make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
There are additional aides (like Mylanta® Gas Relief or Gas-X®) you can purchase over the counter at the pharmacy that might be of help to you. Make sure you get your physician's approval before taking any of these.
Some doctors suggest staying away from carbonated drinks post-op because of the added "fizzy" that can contribute to the gassy intestines.
Staying away from ice might be helpful as well. Some believe that cold ice hitting the warm stomach creates thunderstorm-like conditions, causing added gas to your system.
is contributing to your gassy situation, try a stool softener (again, check with your physician) or prune juice.
Recent studies indicate that chewing gum during the initial postoperative period can help with bowel function. Those who chewed gum were able to pass gas sooner, helping return the bowel to normal.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
04-08-2003 - 06:27 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Susan D. Hunter, M.D.
626 Ed Carey Dr
Harlingen TX 78550
|Clifford Rogers, M.D.
The Everett Clinic, Dept. of Surgery and Gynecology
1330 Rockefeller Ave, Suite 120
Everett WA 98201
425 339 5424
|Jack Ayoub, M.D.
44035 Riverside Parkway
Leesburg VA 20176
|Tiffany Jackson, M.D.
601 Clara Barton, Suite 160
Garland TX 75042
|Robert Moore, M.D.
3400 Old Milton Parkway
Bldg. C, Suite 330
ALPHARETTA GA 30005
|Peter Vienne & Tom Kazmierczak, M.D.
936 W. Rt 6
Morris IL 60450
|Darren Schuhmacher, M.D.
1411 N. Beckley
Pavilion III Suite 152
Dallas TX 75203
|James Zolzer, M.D.
235 Medical Park Rd Suite 201
Mooresville NC 28117
|Marshall Bovelsky, M.D.
200 Banning St
Dover DE 19904