HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Gas Gas Gas after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
What can I do about post-op gas?
If you are suffering from gas problems after your hysterectomy, the first thing to do is cut out gassy foods like beans and broccoli, while still getting plenty of fiber. Secondly, make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
There are additional aides (like Mylanta® Gas Relief or Gas-X®) you can purchase over the counter at the pharmacy that might be of help to you. Make sure you get your physician's approval before taking any of these.
Some doctors suggest staying away from carbonated drinks post-op because of the added "fizzy" that can contribute to the gassy intestines.
Staying away from ice might be helpful as well. Some believe that cold ice hitting the warm stomach creates thunderstorm-like conditions, causing added gas to your system.
is contributing to your gassy situation, try a stool softener (again, check with your physician) or prune juice.
Recent studies indicate that chewing gum during the initial postoperative period can help with bowel function. Those who chewed gum were able to pass gas sooner, helping return the bowel to normal.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
04-08-2003 - 06:27 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Antonio Gargiulo, M.D.
Brigham and Women's Hospital
75 Francis Street
Boston MA 02115
|John Lenihan, M.D.
314 ML King Jr. Way
Tacoma WA 98465
|Larry R. Glazerman, M.D.
1098 W Baltimore Ave
Riddle HLTH Ctr 3 #3404
Media PA 19063
|Kimberly Newman, M.D.
10030 Edison Square Drive
Concord NC 28027
|Jane Starr, M.D.
16651 SW FWY #200
Sugar Land TX 77479
|Caren C Reaves, M.D.
Caring for Women
2805 S. Mayhill Rd
Denton TX 76208
|Susan Carter, M.D.
North Colorado Medical Center/ MCR
1800 15th Street, Suite 220
Greeley CO 80631
970 353 1335
|Elizabeth Stevenson-Gargiulo, M.D.
9101 North Central Expressway
Dallas TX 75231
|Alf Adler, M.D.
17739 Main St. Suite 110
Dumfries VA 22026