Questions for your Pre-Op Hysterectomy Appointment
| Questions for your Pre-Op Hysterectomy Appointment|
From the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles List
Hysterectomy - Questions to Ask
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
I am about to have my pre-op appointment with my doctor. What questions do I need to make sure I ask my doctor?
The following is a list of good and informative questions to ask your doctor. Don’t be afraid to print out this list and bring it with you to your appointment!
Take a notepad with you to each doctor appointment. Write down your questions. Write down your doctor's responses. You may need to refer to your notes later. The HysterSisters, also, suggest taking a friend or spouse with you to your appointments to help you "hear" and remember!
Questions About Your Surgery
- Am I a candidate for minimally invasive surgery?
- How many surgeries like this for my diagnosis do you do each month?
- What percent are minimally invasive surgeries? What percent are open incision?
- Would you recommend a laparoscopic surgery for me? If no, "Why not?"
- Will the doctor make a bladder tack? What is a bladder tack? (If you have incontinence, this is the time to bring it up as this is the best time for bladder and/or rectum repair)
- How long will surgery take?
- Exactly what will be removed? Uterus, ovaries, tubes, cervix, appendix? (How will these organs be removed? Through open abdominal incision? Through the vagina? With the help of a laparoscope?)
- Will I need any preparation before surgery? (enema, stool softener, liquid diet, etc)
- I take certain meds regularly (list your meds, including over-the-counter meds and supplements), will I be allowed to take these to the hospital with me?
- What kind of anesthesia will I have?
Questions About Your Recovery
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- How long will I be on bed rest?
- Will a pathology report be done of all the organs removed? I do want one done.
- How long for the results of the pathology report to come in? (If cancer is suspected, when will I begin cancer treatments and what options are there?)
- If I'm taking BC pills or HRT, do I stop taking them prior to surgery? If so, how long before?
- What medication will I be on for pain in the hospital and when I am home?
- Will the doctor use a tummy binder on me? Will I need one?
- If my ovaries are being removed, when will I start hormones (HRT)? Most important: will the doctor help me to adjust if needed or should I see my family doctor to help with this?
- If I am keeping my ovaries, how will I know if they are working post-op? if they shut down temporarily and I experience hot flashes, how long will I endure menopause symptoms before the ovaries kick back in?
- When will I be able to resume driving?
- How long will I be off work?
- Will I be able to lift my baby? If not, how much can I lift safely at 4 weeks, at 6 weeks?
- When can I return to the gym? When can I return to horseback riding, biking, running?
- I've heard that there is a problem with gas after surgery and have been told that over-the-counter medicines such as Gas-X can help. Is it OK if I take some along to the hospital with me?
- What are the restrictions for any sort of sexual activity after surgery? Is external stimulation allowed and if so, how soon? When can intercourse be resumed?
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Hysterectomy - Questions to Ask
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
|David Newman, M.D.
10030 Edison Square Drive, Suite 100A
Concord NC 28027
|Molly Senokozlieff, M.D.
9279 A Medical Plaza Dr.
North Charleston SC 29406
|Geoffrey Cly, M.D.
Suite 101, 11123 Parkview Plaza Drive
Fort Wayne IN 46845
|Mayra J. Thompson, M.D.
5323 Harry Hines Blvd Dept OBGYN
Dallas TX 75290
|Aileen Caceres, M.D.
Center for Specialized Gynecology/Florida Hospital
410 Celebration Place, Suite 302
Celebration FL 34747
|Sean Kossari, M.D.
14901 Rinaldi Street
Mission Hills CA 91345
|Megan Daw, M.D.
Western Carolina Women's Specialty Center
2100 Ridgefield Blvd
Asheville NC 28806
|Jonathan Y Song, M.D.
2455 Dean St.
St. Charles IL 60175
|Lauren Streicher, M.D.
Gynecologic Specialists of Northwestern, S.C
680 N. Lake Shore Dr., Suite 117
Chicago IL 60611