HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Period (Menstruating) before Hysterectomy?
From the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles List
I started my period this morning and I am scheduled tomorrow for my hysterectomy. What do I do? Do I call the doctor's office? Will my surgery be rescheduled?
Being on your period is usually not a problem and rarely is a hysterectomy cancelled because of it. But because there can be a higher risk of infection and blood loss for women on their period, some surgeons do prefer that their patients not be menstruating for surgery. If it were going to be an issue for you, your surgeon likely would have mentioned it when you were scheduling your surgery. However, to be safe and to put your mind at ease, give your doctor's office a call and explain the situation.
The morning of your surgery, head to your scheduled appointment for check-in at the hospital wearing a pad. Usually the nurse will provide guidance as to how to handle the situation from there. In some cases, mesh panties will be provided that will then be removed once you are in the OR. Other times, you will be allowed to prepare for surgery as normal, removing your clothes and putting on the hospital gown, and then a pad will be placed under you after you are positioned on the gurney (hospital bed).
When you wake up after surgery, you will have another pad under you and may be provided with more disposable panties. Depending on the type of surgery, some bleeding or spotting can occur for up to six weeks following surgery.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon