HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Appendectomy with Hysterectomy
From the Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles List
SHARING IS CARING
I have read about women having an appendectomy during their hysterectomy. Should I have an elective appendectomy when I have my hysterectomy?
There are a lot of variables to consider when deciding to have any elective surgery. In the case of an elective appendectomy during a gynecological surgery such as a hysterectomy, there are surgeons with strong opinions on both sides of the issue.
In the past, the appendix was often automatically removed during any surgery where it could be easily reached. The theory was that it was an unnecessary organ, so removing it could save future health problems, prevent another surgery, and even save lives.
Currently, the appendix is thought to be of some importance. Research findings indicate the appendix may store good bacteria that can be important following an illness that destroys the bacteria necessary for digestion. When the necessary bacteria is depleted, the good bacteria in the appendix can take over, allowing the digestive system to continue to function.
Despite these findings, most people do not seem to be negatively impacted by the removal of their appendix. However, the benefits of an elective appendectomy are very controversial. According to the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, limited studies seem to indicate that women 35 years of age and younger may benefit the most from incidental appendectomies performed during a gynecological procedures. On the other hand, women over the age of 50 may not benefit at all. For those between the ages of 35 and 50, benefits can depend on individual circumstances.
Gynecological surgeons have their own opinions regarding the appendix which can affect if and when they will perform coincidental appendectomies. Determination can be affected by training, experience, skill, type of gynecological procedure, specific patient circumstances, and more.
If there are reasons you would like to have an appendectomy during your hysterectomy, sit down and talk to your surgeon. Explain your reasons and ask if the surgery would be appropriate for you. You should also seek a second opinion to determine what is best for you.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
04-10-2003 - 05:33 PM
SHARING IS CARING
HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy BookletWhat 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy
with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon