HysterSisters Articles for Hysterectomy
Vaginal Odor after Hysterectomy
From the Hysterectomy Recovery Articles List
It's only been a few weeks since my hysterectomy, but I have an odd vaginal odor. What is this and what causes it?
In early post-op weeks, many women experience an unusual, offensive vaginal odor that can be quite unsettling. Whether you had a vaginal or abdominal hysterectomy, this odor is likely caused by dissolving stitches, along with old blood and other fluids in the abdominal cavity. This is particularly common with surgeries that involve anterior and posterior repairs because of the additional stitches from these procedures. Some women also notice that their urine smells a bit different—this is usually caused by anesthesia and other medications.
While some odor is normal, a particularly strong, “fishy” odor, accompanied by discharge may indicate a vaginal infection that needs to be promptly treated by your doctor. When in doubt, it’s safest to contact your doctor’s office to discuss the changes you are experiencing.
If not before, be sure to remember to mention any unusual odor to your doctor at your six-week, post-op check up. If there is an infection present, your doctor can treat it at that time.
This content was written by staff of HysterSisters.com by non-medical professionals based on discussions, resources and input from other patients for the purpose of patient-to-patient support.
Options to Hysterectomy
Hormone and Menopause
Intimacy after Hysterectomy
Fitness after Hysterectomy
Grief and Loss
Ask A Doctor
Do you have a question?
If you have a medical support question related to this article, come JOIN US in our HysterSisters Community Forums. You will receive helpful replies to your questions from our members. See you there!
Recommended for Hysterectomy Recovery
The HysterSisters Store has gathered products made specifically for your recovery from surgery. Here are the best sellers we can recommend to help you:
- The Great Binder Set - We have made it very easy for you and combined the two best binders and the Silky Sac into a great set to save you money! Our favorite is the Perfect Pocket binder with cold/hot packs!
- Deluxe Hyst Prep Set - As you plan, we've gathered the best products into one set for special pricing.
- Post-Op Panty - These great panties speed recovery, and reduces scarring. They contain a medical-grade silicone panel over incision to reduce scar's apperance while they provide support to weakened muscles and tissues from surgery. Excellent!
- Softest Bra Ever - When you want to wear something, but feel nothing. This is the softest bra ever, in microfiber with no hardware or tags to chafe or dig! The comfort-ribbed underband stays in place gently, so it is perfect for sleeping and lounging.
- HysterSisters Accessory Kit - Are you a HysterSisters fan? This set has a fun collection of HysterSisters items.
- Very Private Moisture - Once your doctor gives you the green light for intimacy, this is the stuff! This is a best selling product with a high rate of permanent, satisfied, repeat customers! Relieves vaginal dryness instantly, protects tissue & enhances intimacy.
"Buy it for the problem, use it for the pleasure."
Find a Surgeon
|Steven McCarus, M.D.
400 Celebration Place Suite310
Celebration FL 34747
|Jon Nielsen, M.D.
9825 Hospital Dr. Suite 205
Maple Grove MN 55369
|Gerald Harkins, M.D.
Department of OB-Gyn
P.O. Box 850, H-103
Hershey PA 17033
|Eric Grossman, M.D.
903 Sheppard Road
Voorhees NJ 08043
|Terry Grogg, M.D.
4461 S Broadway Suite 200
Grove City OH 43123
|Kym Boyman, M.D.
1775 Williston Rd., Ste. 110
South Burlington VT 05403
|Geoffrey Bowers, M.D.
2401 E Evesham Rd
Voorhees NJ 08043
|David Zisow, M.D.
2005 Rock Spring Rd Ste. 3
Forest Hill - Baltimore MD 21050
|Debra Richardson, M.D.
Gynecological Oncology Clinic - SW Med
2201 Inwood Road Suite 106
Dallas TX 75390